When Is Treatement For Vf Absolutely Needed

Guest johnandheidi

Guest johnandheidi

Hello from Chandler, AZ

My dog Walter recently experienced severe neck pain and would not lie down. We took him to the vet and they prescribed pain medication and anti inflammatory drugs. They also tested him for Valley Fever. A day later we recalled that he had taken a spill in the Park while running. He fell directly on the side of the neck he had the pain. After a couple of days on the medication he is back to his old self. The vet contacted us today and told us he tested positive for Valley Fever.

He is exhibiting no other signs, - lack of appetite, coughing etc. We believe 100% the neck pain was caused by the fall and is not a symptom of VF.

We are VERY reluctant to put him on VF meds since his appetite and energy levels are fine. He is also an adopted Greyhound who is still settling in (this is week #3 with us and the other Greyhound he arrived with - Jeff).

Is it required that dogs begin VF treatment if diagnosed? Can they recover on their own? We just don't want to start him on meds that may halt his appetite or cause some other problem. We have been working so hard to get him settled in here and he seems very well adjusted. I would rather see if his neck heals 100% then watch for the more tell tale signs of VF before putting him on meds that can potentially screw up his appetite etc.

Any advice on VF would be very helpful. I know this is not a greyhound specific topic but figured maybe some of you have been down this road.

Thank you

John D. Holton

No experience with VF dogs, but I wanted to say hi from Chandler. Lemme know if we can ever lend a hand with stuff.

The meds for VF have come off patent recently; diflucan is particularly affordable at Fry's. We used it for a couple of weeks when Coco had some thrush-like stuff on his tongue. Really did the job.

Any doubts about what to do, Doc Yocham is the best greyhound vet in the Valley.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

No experience with VF dogs, but I wanted to say hi from Chandler. Lemme know if we can ever lend a hand with stuff.

The meds for VF have come off patent recently; diflucan is particularly affordable at Fry's. We used it for a couple of weeks when Coco had some thrush-like stuff on his tongue. Really did the job.

Any doubts about what to do, Doc Yocham is the best greyhound vet in the Valley.

You'll want to take him up on it! This guy knows A LOT and is a great guy to know!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest BlackandBrindle

What is his titer?

Sadie started at 1:36 and is down to 1:8 and presented with a limp. She has been on meds for over a year and a half.

Spud has a titer of 1:4. We are not medicating Spud as he has no symptoms.

So to answer your question, yeah, you don't have to medicate, but the chances are that you will at some point are there. If he presents with symptoms you'll need to medicate because dogs who have untreated valley fever die. Dogs who are treated will most likely lead normal lives.

Knowing that he has a titer I would have him checked yearly if asymptomatic and quarterly if he is on meds.

Dogs don't 'recover' from valley fever but it can be dormant or go into remission.

What does your vet suggest?

Guest johnandheidi

Hi all,

We are waiting on Walter's Titer results. Thanks for the VET advice. I am 99.9% sure the neck pain was caused by the fall. My vet feels that it is more likely VF because greyhounds can recover from spills on the track. Well my boy who is 7 probably hasn't run for a bit and over did it. We have all been there right? Take a break from the gym, go back too hard and then WHAM - pulled muscle.

I made an agreement with the Vet that I will stop all pain and swelling medications and see if he still has pain. If so --then-- I will consider VF the cause. Until then I really don't want to give him any added meds that can "potentially" cause him to stop eating. VF causes them to stop eating but he is eating (and would until he popped) so why do I want to mess with that? Not to mention my wife and I have been following the "poop" threads and THINK we have the right food balance now. Why do I want to mess that up too?

Thanks

John\Heidi\Jeff & Walter

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie never stopped eating so you can't really use that reason to gage whether or not their valley fever is active.

If you have any doubts, definitely go to Doctor Yocham. I've considered driving my two up there on more than one occasion. (Before we found our current vet.)

You shouldn't make a decision until you know the exact titer, but I urge you to not discount medication for your pup.

The vet who diagnosed Sadie with VF really didn't think that was the cause (neither did I) but since being on meds she hasn't limped once.

Guest johnandheidi

Hi all,

Just a quick update. Walter's titer level was 1:4. He is doing just fine and we will keep an eye on him for any changes in his condition.

J.

Guest BlackandBrindle

At 1:4 with no symptoms I'd not medicate either.

I believe it's more of an 'exposure' titre than anything else.

Hope he feels better soon!

If you haven't already, you may want to read Dr. Suzanne Stack's article on Valley Fever (click here). Back in the day, Dr. Stack was the expert on VF.....I don't know if that's still the case since I haven't followed VF like I used to, but you could have your vet consult with her and I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to them. I don't have a phone number for Dr. Stack, but you can get her email address from her website here.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest johnandheidi

greypuppyluv - many thanks for the article. I will see if I can track Susan down. Looks like she is still in Yuma. Hopefully she will respond to an email.

J>