Senior Dental Day

ivon

Darla (13) and Spud (8) went for their dentals today....last year Darla had 7 teeth pulled, today 8 more! Two needed stitches, the vet left it up to me wether or not to even put her under, since her BUN and creatinine were up, the risk was obvious, but I was worried she has painful teeth, since she has refused kibble lately, but would eat wet food with gusto. I've had tooth aches before, and I knew what I would have chosen in her place....

They kept her on IV fluids throughout and she got antibiotics and pain meds, poor baby is a bit out of it now, but hopefuly should be fine in a few days, she is resting on her bed now. Spud, as always, came through with flying colors and is looking for dinner....

Not many teeth left for Miss Darla, she will stay on wet food and get her kidney values checked again in three months.

In case anyone else wonders if they should let their senior have a dental, do it, bad teeth hurt.....I just feel bad I didn't do this a few months ago.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Energy11

Sending love to Darla and Spud.

My DS went throught the exact same thing with his Italian Greyhound. The little guy, 11, had miserable teeth, and is great now, but only has a few teeth left.

Guest ChasesMum

out of curiosity, how "bad" were her teeth, or how did you know she needed to go in?

Chase had a dental last year but she has recently (like last night) started refusing her kibble which is highly unusual. Vet couldnt see anything wrong in her mouth today but she did have tartar buildup and very minor periodontal infection...but nothing the vet thought was bad enough to need a dental or bad enough to stop her from eating. I am grasping at straws...

out of curiosity, how "bad" were her teeth, or how did you know she needed to go in?

Chase had a dental last year but she has recently (like last night) started refusing her kibble which is highly unusual. Vet couldnt see anything wrong in her mouth today but she did have tartar buildup and very minor periodontal infection...but nothing the vet thought was bad enough to need a dental or bad enough to stop her from eating. I am grasping at straws...

Sorry, but if my vet said my dog had tartar build up with infection why wait? I would run blood work first.

Glad Darla and Spud are on the mend :)

I didn't know.....the vet didn't know until she started "poking around", I do make it a point of having them get a dental once a year, that's when they find the teeth are bad enough to come out. One day refusing kibble may be nothing though....

Thanks, they both had a hardy appetite this morning, Darla slurped up her breakfast of canned food, applesauce and yoghurt :) She did drool blood over night but that was to be expected....she is probably happy to be rid of the teeth.

Someone should invent Greyhound dentures....

Sounds to me like a dental's in order--at least in humans a mild peridontal infection usually worsens without treatment, and it sounds like she's in pain.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.