Panting...is It A Sign Of Pain?

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Guest Che_mar_Cody

I want to word this correct so I get a good answer, so I suppose this is for those who hounds have had injuries or going through an illness.

Do you feel panting is a sign of pain? My boy does this more often since his accident and after reading a few posts today with health issues I'm wondering. Nothing major but it is noticeable.

If you feel it is, do you think this helps reduce pain? Should one be concerned?

I think panting can be a sign of stress, whether the stressor is pain, exertion, fear or excitement depends on the situation.

Just MHO.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Yes, it is a sign of pain, or discomfort.

I don't think it reduces pain, but i don't know for sure about that.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest BlackandBrindle

It is definitely a sign of pain. After Spud's attack, he panted pretty heavily the first few days.

I don't think it reduces the pain though.

Guest Energy11

Excessive panting, and panting when it isn't hot, is, as the others have pointed out, a sign of stress, anxiety and pain. No, I honestly don't think it helps reduce pain, though.

Hope your baby is okay! Hugs and prayers from us!

Guest Energy11

If he has been doing it for a while, I'd get to the vet ASAP to get to the bottom of it.

Gives you peace of mind, as well. Good Luck, love and prayers for your boy!

If you're uncomfortable with the thought of him being in pain, I'd contact your vet and get his opinion.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee