Should I Induce Vomiting?

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

DD left her halloween candy out in the basement and Vinny went down there and ate about 15 little candy bars....should I induce vomiting? The lady at the Evet said I could so I wouldn't wake to a mess in the middle of the night. What should I do? Will 15 halloween sized candy bars (all milk chocolate) make him have diarrhea??

Probably. I don't know that I would induce vomiting though unless you have something other then hydrogen peroxide.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest 3greysinPA

Oh no..... I dont know... someone here will know...

hugs to you and Vinny... sending white light that everything will be just fine. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I'm going to go and try to look it up now! be back soon.

I would.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest FrostyBottoms

whats wrong with using hydrogen peroxide?

It says one lb of Milk chocolate is lethal for a 20 lb dog....

how much does Vinny weigh?

95 ish :blush

There's nothing wrong with it, that's what you should use. But again, do it outside because it comes back up very quickly

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest 3greysinPA

I didnt need 1/4 cup of H2O2... i just tried to get 1-2 tablespoons down... worked well with Lilly when she ate the chocolate covered raisins.

Edited by 3greysinPA

Peroxide is the stuff to use.

If the candy bars were the tiny 1.5" long ones, I wouldn't bother unless maybe they were special dark chocolate or my dog had especially sensitive guts. If they were the bigger "snack" size candybars, I'd probably make him hork it up just to be on the safe side. And yeah, do it outside or on an easily cleaned floor -- put up gates because the one place a dog really wants to puke is on the carpet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you haven't done the peroxide already, try this first (trust me!)

about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of salt in about 1/2 cup of water. You probably won't use all of the water. The saltwater is MUCH less messy than peroxide because the peroxide causes foaming and general ickyness. Get as much down the hatch as you can get down and then stand back.

I learned this from Mama Caffie - I haven't had to use it in years but it does work!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Use a couple of Tablespoons then repeat in a few minutes if that doesn't work. It usually does. Do it outside, you won't have time to get him out after.

I know it isn't anywhere near a pound of chocolate, but like with meds each dog reacts differently. It's toxic and could have no effect or be lethal. Give him the peroxide, He'll forget all about it in a few minutes, so do it.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Only problem with salt is if they *don't* puke. Then you're in for a vet visit to flush the salt out of their system -- dangerous otherwise. (I have used salt before. Was pretty sure I'd get big-time puking, and I did.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 3greysinPA

It says one lb of Milk chocolate is lethal for a 20 lb dog....

how much does Vinny weigh?

95 ish :blush

If It were me.... I would induce vomitting ... I would just want to be safe...

Then just sit with him and stay with him ,,, that is what i did with Lilly... She puked a lot.. it happend right after dinner...

Keep us posted... my thoughts are with you guys... everything will be ok... :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest FrostyBottoms

HOLY HORK!

Well, I called Dorothy Anderson too, just to be sure I was doing the right thing, she told me 3 tablespoons...outside, like you all suggested too....WOWZA!

4 big piles + 3 smaller piles. We took pictures...if anyone wants to see them I can send a PM. We now know exactly what he ate because there are wrappers and all! He even ate an Airhead and Twizzlers!

I feel much better, my big baby is fine now. Thank you for all of your advice and moral support! DH didn't want to do it unless the peeps on GT said to. Not even the Evet was good enough for him, he wanted to hear from you!

Thanks!

~Jeannie

Is he mad at you?

Glad he got it out and now you can breathe easier.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest spider9174

i believe the actual dosage is 5 cc (ml)/ 10pounds of body weight. however, you don't need that much if the H2O2 is fresh.

i actually had to call poison control for pets a year ago after Gable ate part of a toxic plant. they said start with 5-10 mls wait 15 minutes then administer another dose if he doesn't vomit. It took two more doses and 45 minutes. He actually tried to keep himself from vomiting by swallowing a lot. walking them helps a bit.

Aside...they told me to put it in a dog bowl with peanut butter smeared on the bottom. They said that as he tries to get the peanut butter, he'll drink that peroxide. Nope, he wouldn't do it. HOWEVER, my female, Kit, got to the bowl (I was so worried about Gable I wasn't paying attention to her) and she drank it all and got all the PB. Well, she vomited in less than 10 minutes and soon I had two dogs vomiting. NOT FUN...if you have multiple dogs, put the others up.

Guest FrostyBottoms

He's not mad....after he puked, he leaned into dh, and dh was like..."we just pored peroxide down your throat and made you puke, and now you want to cuddle up to me???"

He is resting on the couch now, poor boy!

i believe the actual dosage is 5 cc (ml)/ 10pounds of body weight. however, you don't need that much if the H2O2 is fresh.

i actually had to call poison control for pets a year ago after Gable ate part of a toxic plant. they said start with 5-10 mls wait 15 minutes then administer another dose if he doesn't vomit. It took two more doses and 45 minutes. He actually tried to keep himself from vomiting by swallowing a lot. walking them helps a bit.

Aside...they told me to put it in a dog bowl with peanut butter smeared on the bottom. They said that as he tries to get the peanut butter, he'll drink that peroxide. Nope, he wouldn't do it. HOWEVER, my female, Kit, got to the bowl (I was so worried about Gable I wasn't paying attention to her) and she drank it all and got all the PB. Well, she vomited in less than 10 minutes and soon I had two dogs vomiting. NOT FUN...if you have multiple dogs, put the others up.

That made me chuckle!

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug to you. I think myself the 1/4 cup peroxide allows for spillage. :lol

After he calms down I would give him a cookie or 2 to put something in his tummy before bed.

Glad all worked out for him.