Poops Too Dry After Switching Foods...

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

DeeDee's vet recently recommended we switch her from Pro Plan Shredded to Hill's t/d for the purposes of helping keep her teeth a little cleaner. We slowly switched her over, expecting, if anything, to find some runny poo during the process. Instead, just the opposite occurred. DeeDee's poop became harder and drier. She is now totally switched over to the new food, and her poo is so dry at times it's actually crumbly when you try to pick it up. She also seems to possibly be having to work harder to get it out.

When DeeDee was on the Pro Plan, she had water mixed in with her food since she tended to inhale it too quickly. Because the t/d pieces are so large, we don't put water in it (plus in order to get the benefit for her teeth it needs to stay crunchy, not mushy). As a result, DeeDee has been drinking a lot more of her "stand alone" water than usual (she hardly touched it before, except after exercising). A pinching of the skin behind her neck results in it snapping 3/4 of the way back immediately, then taking about a second to spread out the rest of the way so it's back in place.

Could all of this mean DeeDee's a little dehydrated? Is dry poop something to worry about? I know it's from the food switchover, since it occurred at exactly the time we changed foods, so I'm not worried it's caused by another medical condition or anything. I'm wondering if there's a good way to get more water into my girl if she's actually become dehydrated a bit. Does anyone else have experience with dogs eating t/d, or having crumbly poo, or both? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Energy11

Honestly, I wouldn't use TD for a primary food. It is too large, and too dry.

TD's second ingredient is corn, that might be your problem, too.

Might want to go back to her old food and use the TD for TREATS. This is what a friend in Florida did. She'd buy the TD, but use it as treats, not the primary good.

Science Diet does NOT make the best of foods. I worked at at a vet that only sold the Science Diet products.

Good Luck!

Guest greyhound9797

Don't mind me but I am getting on my raw food soap box now! =)

I have been feeding Piper, my 12 year old grey, raw for over 2 years now and it has made amazing improvements in her. Raw is primarily water (many people think it is high protein but it actually has less protein then some dry food brands) and is the healthiest, most natural food to feed. You know EXACTLY what your dog is eating and are able to adjust ingredients and portions much easier than on commercial food. It is easier than it sounds and can be less expensive than some of the so-called "better" commercial foods out there.

Piper's stool is smaller and more infrequent on raw than on kibble as her body is utilizing more of the food she is eating compared to kibble with all of its fillers. Stool firmness is regulated by the amount of bone that is fed so if your grey seems to be constipated you know to cut back on the bone amount (same for looser stool - add a bit more bone to the diet).

If you are interested in switching to raw let me know and I will be happy to give you the basics. It has made a world of difference in Piper and now she actually loves her meals!

Sandra in FL

Might want to go back to her old food and use the TD for TREATS. This is what a friend in Florida did. She'd buy the TD, but use it as treats, not the primary good.

Yes. No offense meant, but my vet recommended that stuff (not to push it either, she feeds it to her dog), but when I checked the ingredient list it really is crap, imo. I feed one as a treat after each meal instead, although I don't know if really helps.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I've known people feed a small handful of that particular food as treats or in with the regular meal to help firm poop, but not as the dog's full meal .......

For teeth, you're best of feeding some appropriate raw bones or brushing every day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks, everyone. I was concerned about whether the quality was good or not, but the vet said she also gives it to her dogs, so I figured it was okay. Guess not... :(

I'm interested in hearing more about the raw diet. I don't have a lot of time to prepare meals, however, even for myself. So it would need to be something where I could just throw ingredients in a bowl and go. We're also really, really tight financially, so the less expensive (while still healthy) the better at this point... Otherwise I guess we'll have to work on getting her back on the Pro Plan.

Re: giving her bones... I asked the vet about whether we could give her bones to help her teeth and breath. The vet said we should probably stick with just the greenies for now (we were already giving them to her), especially since DeeDee has already lost a crown on one tooth. DeeDee is due for a dental in a few months, but I'm still debating on the bone issue. Any advice out there? We've done marrow bones in the past, but I'm wondering if that's why DeeDee is missing a crown on one tooth...

Thanks!

A lot of people who feed primarily kibble/canned will give a turkey neck or other bone once or twice a week. Some of it depends on whether your dog is a gobbler vs. a dog who will savor and chew. If the former, you may not want to do bones. If the latter, then sheila, Ola, gazehund, JillysFullHouse could probably advise you on good choices for occasional teeth cleaning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't feed greenies (did that once, the gas almost peeled the paint), but I think there were problems with dogs swallowing parts and having intestinal issues--anyone remember this?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest limbrooke83

Hi guys - thanks for all the input so far! Yeah, the dry poop surprised me too. DeeDee's is usually definitely NOT dry! :lol:

I've thought about the turkey necks. In fact I was going to go get one for DeeDee until the vet said no bones and mentioned the tooth issue. DeeDee is also definitely a gobbler. She's one of the most food-motivated houndies I or anyone in my adoption group has ever seen! Should I still consider the bones?

Also, re: Greenies, I heard they used to be not so great for the dogs, but that Greenies fixed whatever the problem was so now they're okay again. Anyone else have input on this? DeeDee sure does love her Greenies (and has relatively low levels of gas emission, for a greyhound, lol!). I'd hate to take them away from her...

Thanks again for the input, guys! Keep it coming!

The bones in turkey necks (or poultry anything) are really quite soft, there's no way she could hurt a tooth on them. I'd try it. Don't freak out when she swallows a big chunk whole -- well, you will freak out, as I did the first time, but no harm done. Necks big enough that she just has to chew them work best -- also feeding them still partly frozen, so they're harder overall and need more dedicated chewing. Like countless other people I've been very impressed how much they've helped my dog's teeth.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greyhound9797

Most vets are either anti-raw or simply uneducated. Unless you can find a good holistic one (try here - http://www.holisticvetlist.com/) chances are your vet will tell you that the raw diet is dangerous and not healthy. I have heard that there is only about 20 hours of nutrition training in vet school and it is sponsored by IAMS or Science Diet so of course they push their foods. In addition, vets get a kick back for every bag of "prescription" food they sell so why wouldn't they encourage their clients to buy it? Besides, the domestic dogs genetic make-up is only .02% different than a wolves and wolves have survived for thousands of years eating nothing but raw meat.

The benefits of raw greatly outnumber the risks. I belong to several raw feeding forums and rarely hear about obstructions or damage due to eating raw bones. Piper has been on raw for over 2 years and she has never had a problem eating or digesting it. One of the problems that does occur (and this happens to non-raw feeders too) is giving marrow bones to your dog. They are considered "wreckreational" bones as they are too dense for teeth and cause fractures or worse yet, entire teeth breaking. The only benefit to marrow bones is that they provide some entertainment; this can be done by giving your grey a bully stick (dehydrated bull penis) or elk antlers.

Depending on what brand of food you feed, raw can be cheaper, comparable in price or just a bit more expensive. It can be evened out by reduced visits to vets so that needs to be figured into the equation as well. It isn't complicated to feed (you really CAN just throw something down but feedings should be supervised) it just takes some prior planning.

If you are interested in learning more about raw feeding, email me (piperspetsittingservice@yahoo.com) and I will send you some basic information. I am not an expert by any means but Piper loves her food, I love that she loves her food, she is healthy and glowing at age 12 and if I can help another hound out I would love to.

Sandra in FL