Pet Insurance Discussed On Npr This Morning

I was listening to NPR this morning as I was getting ready for work and heard this piece about pet insurance.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

hrm. Interesting! I wish they had looked at a few insurance companies to give a broader picture, though, not just one with mixed reviews at best. I can see what they're getting at in terms of separation from how much we're spending, much like the human healthcare system, but it will be awhile before pet insurance has the clout to inflate the pet healthcare system like that, and that's only if vets on the whole start running tests and giving treatments that aren't at all necessary.... I hope that won't be the case -_- It's that general principle that makes me research furiously before agreeing to treatments for non-acute things, at least.

Thanks for the link!! :)

Guest Energy11

I now have Trupanion for all five. They were the only company who would cover older dogs... mine range in age from 7-9, and they cover a lot. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, but, still ... when you consider all the problems these dogs can get as they get older, to ME, it is worth it. I am STILL paying Dr. Karen's bill just for physicals and blood work for all five ... so, hence, the insurance.

It was surely easier when I worked for a vet, but NO ONE is hiring up here, and I have even offered to VOLUNTEER in exchange for reduced vet costs :-( I gave up and bought the pet insurance.

I now have Trupanion for all five. They were the only company who would cover older dogs... mine range in age from 7-9, and they cover a lot. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, but, still ... when you consider all the problems these dogs can get as they get older, to ME, it is worth it. I am STILL paying Dr. Karen's bill just for physicals and blood work for all five ... so, hence, the insurance.

It was surely easier when I worked for a vet, but NO ONE is hiring up here, and I have even offered to VOLUNTEER

Edited by Energy11

I have been looking into getting pet insurance for Sadie, and if I ever get a second dog, I will definitely be getting insurance. This article made a really good point, and it's kind of like people spending more on credit than they would if it were "real" money, because they don't have to pay it right away. Thanks for sharing!

Guest wdlndgreasil

I heard the story on NPR too. Was disappointed they only really profiled VPI which gets so many poor reviews - I though NPR of all would cover more options for pet owners. Still it was good to get people thinking about it.

Guest zoolaine

Just used our insurance this weekend when I had to take Luna to the emergency vet for a UTI. Bill came to $355 so I will have to pay $85.50. Pretty good I think. And I realized that taking her to the e-vet only costs like an extra $15 over my regular vet since I pay $50 plus 10% (if I just waited and took her to the regular vet it probably would have been about $150 cheaper). So it is nice to not have to worry about the cost when trying to decide whether to go to the e-vet or just wait till the regular vet is open. Plus I agree with using more tests, etc when you have insurance, since I am only paying 10%. I have PetFirst insurance.

Guest KennelMom

I've run the numbers and insurances makes no sense for us. We can afford vet bills and just budget a certain amount every month to chunk into a savings account for the dogs. I'd rather save my own money than give it away month after month to a company and then hope and pray they cover whatever it is we need them to cover.