Questions To Ask Vet

Guest RegalGreys

Guest RegalGreys

Our Jewel (3 years old and adopted by us 6 months ago) has recently had a lot of 'peeing in the house' problems and I'm still unsure if the cause is Anxiety, Behavioral, or Medical. :unsure

I'm going to take her to the Vet tomorrow to see if she's having a physical problem. After reading past posts about UTI's and other peeing problems, I am unsure if I should insist that they do a urine culture, and ask for anti-biotics regardless of initial analysis.

We've recently moved and this is the first time I'm using the new Vet, so I have absolutely no rapport with the staff. I'm worried that they'll have zero greyhound background and not take me seriously since they don't know me.

Any suggestions on what questions to ask and what information I should have on hand when I go? (Other than current vaccine paperwork and a urine sample.)

Guest Energy11

When I get a urine sample, I sterilize the bowl that I catch it in (I use bleach and then, rinse thoroughly, and cover it). Then, I actually buy the junior size baby food (get something the greykids can eat like sweet potatoes :-)... and sterilize it, same way. Then, I get urine as close to my vet appt. as possible.

My vet sends the urine out to the lab, and doesn't just do a dip. I think that is far more thorough.

That is about it for catching urine for a sample. MY vet knew nothing about greys either, I am educating her, and she will be going to see Dr. Couto speak here in Georgia in Nov. :-))

Good Luck!

Guest RegalGreys
Can you find out if they have any greyhound experience? How did you choose a vet?

When I called to ask, I was told that they've seen a few greyhounds in the past. I chose them based on location (they're six blocks from my house) and a couple of friend's recommendations.

I'll give them a call this afternoon to see what would be the best option for a urine sample. I hadn't thought about picking up a sterile cup....

Guest Energy11
Can you find out if they have any greyhound experience? How did you choose a vet?

When I called to ask, I was told that they've seen a few greyhounds in the past. I chose them based on location (they're six blocks from my house) and a couple of friend's recommendations.

I'll give them a call this afternoon to see what would be the best option for a urine sample. I hadn't thought about picking up a sterile cup....

You will need a bowl for "catching" the urine, and a jar/cup to put it in. I just bleach out the bowl and my jar with bleach, rinse well, and it works. If they have a sterile cup ... why not?:-) Good Luck!

I don't sweat the container. I just use whatever's handy -- yogurt container, butter container, etc. -- clean it well with soap and water, rinse rinse rinse, and dry with a clean paper towel. Proof of the pudding is the number of urine samples I've taken in that have shown zero bacteria ........

Fresher sample is better. If you can't get the sample to the vet in @ 30 minutes, you want to refrigerate it and even then not more than an hour or two old is best. Age is important in urine samples, so I really like the vet to look at it then and there even if we are sending out part of that sample (or getting another sample) for culture. At my vet, the technician preps the sample and evaluates first, but the vet himself/herself always looks at it too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I dropped off Miss Roses' specimen on Friday after a bout of puddling. I do use a sterile specimen container when I want cultures done. Mark called and said she had a bad UTI and called her Rx in to Walgreens. I don't have to take my hound in for stuff like this because I have a long term relationship with my vets. I always bring copies of the latest research/clinical trials/grey related stuff in with me for them and it is always welcomed. Speak with them regarding your concerns about grey related medical differences/issues. If they blow you off about it, find a new vet. Most are willing to learn or do the research. I hope that you and your hound are comfortable with your new vet.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star