Dr. Doug's Kidneys Revisited

Guest SusanP

Dr. Doug's retake of bloodwork today showed normal ALP/ALT, creatinine at 1.8 (last time it read over 40), BUN 19, glucose 117, 6.6 total protein. We are waiting on the protein:creatinine ration urine work. The vets think there was a problem with the last bloodtest.

They won't treat for a UTI until they see what the urine test looks like because they still think something may be up with his kidneys, but I am cautiously hopeful.

They also tried to send his blood in for a thyroid test for $103, when in fact it was my *other* hound they wanted a thyroid panel done on due to his T4 being .5. I'm still mulling over that one.

We've been rather through the ringer on this. How do those kidney values look for a greyhound vs a regular dog?

Hmmm...I think it's a 'wringer'.

I'm seeing some articles on Greyhound creatinine levels that show this is perhaps a bit elevated (Vet said it's 12/10 of a point too high), but I'm not seeing much on normal greyhound BUN levels.

Well, this is certainly better than the test results they gave me a couple of days ago. I wish I hadn't had to pay for 2 bloodtests and put him through the stress of going in twice to find out he is probably fine.

I still wonder if he has a mild UTI, however--my original question. I guess I'll have to wait a couple more days for the answer to that.

Wheaw!

Do people usually get a refund when they mess up the bloodwork and scare the daylights out of you and it has to be redone?

I've never had it happen but you sure would think there would have been no charge for the re-test

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I think if the initial bloodwork was their error, they shouldn't have charged you for a retest.

IMO even if there IS something going on with the kidneys, first course of treatment should be antibiotics anyway and then see if he seems to be doing better after that. Wondering now where these people went to vet school... <_<

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I think if the initial bloodwork was their error, they shouldn't have charged you for a retest.

IMO even if there IS something going on with the kidneys, first course of treatment should be antibiotics anyway and then see if he seems to be doing better after that. Wondering now where these people went to vet school... <_<

I would think an antibiotic as well, or something like Enalapril

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Something definitely went wrong with the first blood test. While wildly excited that Dr. Doug appears to be fine, I would certainly make a case for "what if" the first test results were used to determine treatment. Then I would ask for an adjustment to the charges.

Am so glad that everything appears to be as it should be! Congrats!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I would think an antibiotic as well, or something like Enalapril

Why enalapril? That's a heart medicine, right?

2 vets at our clinic have now told me antibiotics *can* be hard on kidneys that are already compromised. The second vet admitted certain antibiotics are more problematic than others (she mentioned Baytril). But what I can't see is not immediately retesting bloodwork when they have gotten nonsensical results (The creatanine was greater than 40, BUN near normal--can't find the paper now). Instead she wanted him to eat KD for a month before being retested, all the while not being treated for a UTI, which may have been the problem. She only agreed to retest bloodwork right away after I called and grilled her over the course of action she was proposing.

That is weird. We usually retest when we get an anomaly without corresponding symptoms, but we've never had anything obviously fruitcake like that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

First off...I am so glad that things are looking better! :) I did want to share this...we had a whole metabolic panel done for Flashy on one of his senior wellness exams. His levels were elevated in the kidney and liver areas. I noticed on the bottom of the lab report (we always get copies of all reports) it stated that the blood was very hemolyzed and it stated that hemolysis can alter certain lab tests raising some levels and lowering other levels. It seems that every time this particular tech draws the blood there is hemolysis. I told my vet that the test should be run again at their expense not mine and that is what happened and Dr. Beth drew the blood herself and his results were MUCH better on the second test and there was no hemolysis. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Why enalapril? That's a heart medicine, right?

You're right, it is a heart med but also used with very good results for the kidneys. My little girl was on it for years for kidney disease and Nancy's(Gazehund) girl also takes it for kidney disease.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Susan, I would think if Doug's levels are just *slightly* off, any antibiotic will do the trick and not affect the kidneys...Clavamox would be my first choice to get rid of a UTI.

Enalapril, I would think, would be a course of treatment IF in fact he DOES have a kidney problem and not just a UTI or kidney infection that is easily eradicated with antibiotics.

Sounds like they're yanking your chain there, and it enfuriates me. How many people go to this vet and don't have somewhere like GT to get information and actually take these vets at their word? :angryfire

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--