Aspiration Pneumonia

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

Has anyone had any experience with this? Lure coursing this weekend the dogs had gotten only a few feet away and we heard a weird squeak. At the time we laughed thinking it was excitement.

I cooled the dog out and we left shortly afterwards. We had a two hour ride home and they are right behind me in the van. All was quiet. I opened the door to let them out at home and Roo started coughing and finished with a big retch. This has kept on all day so we went to the e-vet. They suspect aspiration pneumonia.

This may not have anything to do with the squeak we heard. I am just speculating.

Her respiration rate is normal at rest and she feels fine. Normal temp, eating, running around the house with a stuffie in her mouth while she is coughing her head off.

We're going to our vet tomorrow.

I'd be interested in hearing about pneumonia that wasn't aspiration caused too.

TIA!

No experience Julia, but I hope Roo will be okay.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

No experience with it, but aspiration pneumonia is caused by inhaling either saliva or stomach contents; the latter can be quite serious- the main reason why the stomach needs to be empty before surgery, so that one does not aspirate vomit post-op.

Sounds like there may be an irritant in the airway somehow.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest mickie37

I do not have experience with this in dogs but in humans it is serious. My friend had it and had round of antibiotics, anti inflammatories and cough medicine.

Prayers heading your way.hope.gif

Mickie

Guest Energy11

Aspiration pneumonia is when food, foreign matter, stomach contents, etc. go into the trachea, (air way tube) and not the esophagus, (stomach tube). It can be very nasty and cause a lot of infection and problems, as you can imagine. That stuff isn't supposed to be down there in the lungs.

Hoping it is nothing serious, and whatever it is, can be treated quickly. Love and hugs to you and yours.

I find it odd the pup has no fever, usually with in 24 hours of aspiration the infection sets in, along with the cough, antibiotics are the cure, and plenty of H2O, keep us posted

Guest mcsheltie

We're back from the vet and that is what she has. I found info on the net that pneumonia isn't always accompanied by a fever in the beginning and my vet concurred. We started antibiotics soon after she started coughing. The medication is starting to kick in and she is more comfortable now.

Yes, I have had experience with AP. It was a dog who was already sick with a neurological disease.

He started with a cough & loss of appetite. Initially his xrays were clean & UGA vet school could not decide what it was. A friend who is an xray tech said do not be surprised if he turns out to have AP. She's taken clean xrays on patients that went downhill fast. My dog did turn out to have AP but thankfully it was caught early & he survived it. Did not even end up hospitalized.

Keep a close eye out but you've gotten on top of it fast. Glad he is feeling better. That's a wonderful sign.

Guest mcsheltie

Her x-rays were clean, but it was just over 24 hrs from when it happened. But you could hear the cracking thru the stethoscope this morning.

I am so glad I am the one that slipped her and hear the weird squeak, otherwise I might not have caught it so fast.

She's better tonight. Only coughing after a deep breath, not constantly like yesterday. And her breathing isn't as labored. Whew!!! :clap