Eye Infection

A friend is supposed to be meeting me tomorrow to hike with us with his mom's dog, but he just told me she has an eye infection. She's been on antibiotics for 2 days. Are eye infections in dogs as contagious as they are in humans? Should I have him skip it?

I was thinking if we just avoid touching her face so we don't transfer it, it should be okay - dogs don't really rub eyes afterall. :P But, I know that may not be realistic.

Anyone have any experience with this? If your dog had one, did you other dogs get it?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

A friend is supposed to be meeting me tomorrow to hike with us with his mom's dog, but he just told me she has an eye infection. She's been on antibiotics for 2 days. Are eye infections in dogs as contagious as they are in humans? Should I have him skip it?

I was thinking if we just avoid touching her face so we don't transfer it, it should be okay - dogs don't really rub eyes afterall. :P But, I know that may not be realistic.

Anyone have any experience with this? If your dog had one, did you other dogs get it?

Eye infections are as contagious as they are in humans. But, 24 hours of antibiotics and you should all be fine. Most eye infections are transmitted by direct contact, and by sneezing and coughing.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

You know, I'm curious to hear what others have to say for future reference, but I just realized I'd probably just go for it any other time, but we're going to Dewey on Thursday and sharing a house with 8 other dogs. I can't risk mine getting it and me having to leave them at home. I guess we're hiking alone. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I don't blame your for being cautious. The 24 hour antibiotic rule is per our local health department when our kids at the day care get anyhting like pink eye or strep throat.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Yeah, I've heard that. I've also heard 24-48 hours and I've heard some say it's a ridiculous rule b/c antibiotics don't work for it. :dunno I do know at the very least if it is from bacteria, it's got to be the right antibiotic and it's not like we culture eye infections like we do some UTIs, etc. Of course, one assumes a broad spectrum woudl cover it, but who knows anymore! :rolleyes:

Guest FullMetalFrank

I know that the last time I got conjunctivitis, probably from looking thru a microscope that was used by my whole work group, my doc advised I stay home for 4 days (but that was partly because I could have reinfected my co-workers by using the scope again...) No oral antibiotics for that, I used the drops instead and the irritation cleared up within a couple of days.

Guest Energy11

I'd hike alone, too, especially with you going to Dewey next week. You surely don't want your houndie getting sick there. Have a wonderful hike!

Are both eyes infected, or just 1? If it's something like pink eye, I wouldn't go near the dog. If it's only 1 eye, I wouldn't be that concerned, they eye could have had an irritation causing the infection and that wouldn't be very contagious. Plus, if it's very contagious, both eyes would be infected, not just 1.