Tell Me About Carafate With Other Meds?

Tracey

Cosmo's been doing fine on the prednisone but the vet is concerned about stomach ulcers so she prescribed carafate 3 times a day. She said it will interfere with absorption of other drugs and on the bottle it says to give an hour after other meds. Is an hour long enough to wait? Anything else I need to know?

Also, got the prescription filled at Stop and Shop where most of the drugs are now $10 or less. But I paid $50 for 42 pills. Is that about right because holy cow?!

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I give my girl her Carafate 1 hour prior to meals and other medications (yup--means I'm up at 4:00 a.m. for her first pill of the day). It needs to be given on an empty tummy and quite frankly dogs tummies aren't empty an hour post meals. Make sure you are getting the generic--way less expensive. I get mine at CostCo and I was paying $12 for #60 but, it did just go up to $20 for #60. If you don't have a CostCo by you I'm pretty sure they do mail order scripts.

Oh, I give the Carafate with a small finger full of whipped low-fat cream cheese--works great.

Sorry your pup is on pred--I can relate :(

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I give my girl her Carafate 1 hour prior to meals and other medications (yup--means I'm up at 4:00 a.m. for her first pill of the day). It needs to be given on an empty tummy ...

I don't believe Carafate needs to be on an empty stomach. It must be given separately from other medications though.

I separate the carafate by 2 hours if I can, either way (before or after) but as Trudy said, an hour before or two hours after. Although it doesn't have to be on an empty stomach, it works better (I take carafate) if you can.

You must have gotten the brand instead of the generic, sulcrafate.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Ryan had his an hour before or 2 hours after other meds/food

That is how I was instructed to administer it as well.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Mia Bella took hers 1 hour before meals and then she got her meds with her meals. I have also had to take carafate before (yuck, chalk!) and I took it one hour before meals and meds.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC