Flead And Tick Meds

dixidoll

Adams is pyrethrin-based. Pyrethrin is a derivitive of certain chrysanthymums, IIRC. It is safely used on sighthounds, when used according to package directions.

Biospot is permethrin-based. Permethrin is a synthetic form of pyrethrin, and is NOT safe on sighthounds or cats.

:nod As far as Adams spray.

Adams is safe most of the time, but a friend sent me a link a few months ago about some problems with it.

Adams spot on (as opposed to the spray) contains permethrin, just like Bio-Spot.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Adams is safe most of the time, but a friend sent me a link a few months ago about some problems with it.

Adams spot on (as opposed to the spray) contains permethrin, just like Bio-Spot.

I did not even know they had a spot-on! Guess that shows I need to do more research before spouting off with so much knowlege! :blush

I do know that the spray and shampoo are safe on sighthounds, though. Any other Adams product, I can't say.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Looking into it more, I think the Adams and BioSpot sprays both are pyrethrin based, while the spot on formulas are permethrin (more toxic) based. Permethrins are synthetic derivatives of the natural pyrethrins, and it doesn't break down as quickly as pyrethrin, leading to more toxic effects.

Thanks, everyone, for chiming in!

I hate the thoughts of putting any chemicals on my dogs so I tried Natural Defense, which is an all natural flea and tick control. I walk my guys in the woods everyday and so far no ticks or fleas.

I usually use Front Line Plus but used Advantage once this summer when we had a bout of fleas not 1 x but 2 times. I used Advantage only once as it appeared that the fleas may have built up a resistance to FL+. I will never use the Advantage again as after using it Maddie broke out in a huge red hot spot sore and had crust scabs in an area under her neck. We went to the vet and 92.00 later and advice of her to be "naked" (no collar while in the house for about a week and a half" and I had to spray medication on her and give her fish oil (still do) we are back to using Front line Plus and looking into using Comfortis. Geting rid of the fleas in the house and yard was another battle but we finally won as well.

Hugs to your freind and her pup as the pup gets better.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]