Flead And Tick Meds

dixidoll

A friend of mine with a beautiful 8 year old whippet is having neurological problems. After questioning her she applied Bio Spot on her before the incidient. I am thinking that this might have caused this problem. When the vet found out they immeadiately washed her. She is on meds and doing better, but not her total self. I do not know if she will ever be.

Was there talk in the past about Bio Spot, I remember something about applications, but not what happened. Any information would help. She is the cutest little white and fawn little girl. Personally I would never use Bio Spot. But she never told me that is what she was putting one her.

Only used it once and will never use it again. None of mine like the topical drops. They squirm like their back's on fire.

Also stay away from Vectra which is being pushed by the Petsmart vets - it nearly killed a friend's malti-poo.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Bio Spot is a "no no" for ANY sighthound! I wouldn't use it on any type of dog.

Frontline Plus, Advantage, Revolution, and Adams Flea and Tick Mist are really the only things to use. Most of the "crap" they sell in the stores for fleas and ticks are not safe for sighthounds.

My old standby, and I do not use Frontline, Frontline Plus, Advantage or Revloution ... is Adams. I love it, and it works.

Hope the little Whippet is okay! Hugs coming from here! Dee and The Five

I am giving her the information you write. Sometimes i do not think she believes me when I tell her information. Coming from someone else might help. Does anyone know if the effects of the Bio Spot will wear off, or are they permenant damage to the dog. I am afraid to find out the answer. I hope they wear off, but they may have been damaged too much. I feel so bad for this litte whippet.

Wont have it in the house. There was quite a bit of controversy some years back about the severe and multiple adverse reactions that were cropping up with this and a few other flea/tick control meds on the market. My vet does NOT recommend it either. Pyrithrans aren't regulated by the EPA as far as I know in this catagory even though is an insecticide. And frequently people dont pay attention to the dosing instruction for the product they use which leads to toxicity and other severe problems. They are not a one size fits all animals. There are several sites that you can go to regarding Bio Spot, just remember some/most of them are not official sites as such, merely places where people can talk about the problems they've had with Bio Spot and other OTC flea/tick meds.

FDA has a few good site

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEv...r/ucm130778.htm

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Thank you very much for the information, I am forwarding the sites and all your knowledge.

I have not heard any of you mention K9 ADVANTIX. What do you think about that one ???? Do not use or is this one ok ??

After seeing what can happen on that site, I shudder to think of what couldhave happend to her whippet. I just do not use any of them on mine. We have been very fortunate this year and not found and fleas or ticks here. We are ver alert to looking for them all the time though.

Guest Energy11

Canine Advantix is a debate these days. My former vet/employer, says no. GPA Greater Orlando has literature stating not to use it, BUT, I know a lot of people with greys and other sighthounds who have had no problems. Guess it depends on the hounds.

I know of a few people who have used it on their greys, with topical and some neuro reactions, so I guess it depends. My good friend in Florida swears by it for her two greys, so ???????????????? Guess it is open for debate.

Guest TeddysMom

I never have liked the topicals. Someone adopted a boxer from me, went home, applied Bio-spot and ended up in the ER. Head tremmers, slobbering, panting and throwing up. The vet bathed him gave him a shot and put him on lots of IV fluids for 24 hours. He recovered but it took about a week for him to get back to normal. I hope this dog recovers, I feel horrible for the owner. I stopped using any topicals after that. I have been using the Adams Flea and Tick Mist for a week and I am amazed at the difference, no fleas on the dogs or in my bed. Thanks Energy11.

I wouldn't use a "spot on" on a sighthound period. I am a chemist. Therefor I am very sensitive about chemicals and IMO I think it is too much poison to be putting in your dogs blood stream.

A friend of mine nearly killed her sighthound by mistakenly putting BioSpot on it. When will people learn that you have to be particular about the POISONS you are exposing your dogs too? I like Adams too-the water based kind- and it works just fine.

I had a problem with all of the topicals with one of my boys, I tried everything and no matter what, he would breakout with these little scabby sores. I finally tried a product called Natural Defense on him and it worked great, it is made from all natural ingredients. So far I have not had any flea or tick issues and I have been using it on all my boys, the only thing is when I first apply it my house smells like a spice shop for a day or so. I know it is probably not as strong as Frontline or the other products but I like the fact that it is all natural.

I have sent all your replys, answers, and suggestions to my friend Amy. She thanks you all. She tells me that Gidget ( whippet ) still has a tilt to her head. She looks like she is looking for flies, is the way she explains it. Amy also says she has little ticks of her head almost constantly. Her live and kidney numbers are not right but not awful. The vet suggested a MRI but Amy said there is no way she can affoard it. That is probably why she bought the Bio

Spot, ( I figure ). She said it was cheaper. I told her, nothing is better then the chemicals. She feels horrible that this probably came from what she did. I do not think it will ever leave her. I`ll let you know how Gidget is when she lets me know. Now that she knows how we all feel about the topicals she is not writing to me much.

Guest Energy11
I wouldn't use a "spot on" on a sighthound period. I am a chemist. Therefor I am very sensitive about chemicals and IMO I think it is too much poison to be putting in your dogs blood stream.

A friend of mine nearly killed her sighthound by mistakenly putting BioSpot on it. When will people learn that you have to be particular about the POISONS you are exposing your dogs too? I like Adams too-the water based kind- and it works just fine.

It is very very nice hearing you agree with the Adams! Means a lot to me, coming from a chemist! I swear by the product, and it WORKS! Thank you, thank you! I, too, really do not like the "spot ons," ... we had a presentation by the Advantix rep, when I worked at my vets in Florida. I told her, I had heard it wasn't safe for sighthounds. SHE said, "well, we test it on greyhounds ..." I left the room!

Canine Advantix is a debate these days. My former vet/employer, says no. GPA Greater Orlando has literature stating not to use it, BUT, I know a lot of people with greys and other sighthounds who have had no problems. Guess it depends on the hounds.

I know of a few people who have used it on their greys, with topical and some neuro reactions, so I guess it depends. My good friend in Florida swears by it for her two greys, so ???????????????? Guess it is open for debate.

My vet won't suggest use of K9 Advantix, too many issues with pets having problems. They won't even sell it.

Hope this pup gets better soon

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest FullMetalFrank

This may seem obvious but your friend needs to thoroughly bathe the whippet if she hasn't done so, in order to remove any residual Biospot. If it is what is causing the symptoms, it will just keep right on poisoning until she gets it all off. I hope the whippet makes a full recovery.

Ooops I see in the first post that it was already washed off, sorry! I need to read more carefully...

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest D_MansMommy
Biospot and K9 Advantix both contain permethrin, which is not recommended for use on sighthounds.

:nod And they can be deadly to cats also. Personally, I don't use any flea/tick remedies on my pups or cats. The cats are indoor cats and I have not had a problem with fleas or ticks on the pups. I do have Frontline Plus on hand for the pups and cats if I need it. I just don't want to use chemicals on them if I don't have to.

• 1 month later...

Hey gang, not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm confused. Adams Flea and Tick spray, which is praised by many here, has pyrethrins in it, just as BioSpot does. Neither contain the more toxic form of the chemical, permethrin, noted above.

I just got back from the pet store. They were out of the Adams spray, but recommended BioSpot, noting it's the same ingredients. I bought it, and of course checked with y'all before actually using it and saw these horror stories. Eek! I just downloaded the tech info about Adams online to compare. BioSpot does contain methoprene, which is considered pretty safe.

So, if Adams and BioSpot have the same evil active ingredient, what gives?

Thanks!

Guest ProudGreyMom

Yes!!! Used it once and both dogs had troubles. Andy had itchy skin and Molly just totally freaked out. She was actually rolling and rolling, then she hid under the stairs. Back to the expensive stuff for us!!

Edited to Add, have used K9 Adantix for years for all dogs, absolutely no problems. I use a bit less than the whole tube and it helps with the mild irritation.

Edited by ProudGreyMom

Hey gang, not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm confused. Adams Flea and Tick spray, which is praised by many here, has pyrethrins in it, just as BioSpot does. Neither contain the more toxic form of the chemical, permethrin, noted above.

I just got back from the pet store. They were out of the Adams spray, but recommended BioSpot, noting it's the same ingredients. I bought it, and of course checked with y'all before actually using it and saw these horror stories. Eek! I just downloaded the tech info about Adams online to compare. BioSpot does contain methoprene, which is considered pretty safe.

So, if Adams and BioSpot have the same evil active ingredient, what gives?

Thanks!

Adams is pyrethrin-based. Pyrethrin is a derivitive of certain chrysanthymums, IIRC. It is safely used on sighthounds, when used according to package directions.

Biospot is permethrin-based. Permethrin is a synthetic form of pyrethrin, and is NOT safe on sighthounds or cats.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Adams is safe most of the time, but a friend sent me a link a few months ago about some problems with it. I believe it was the incident report by the USDA (think this is the right agency. There are some problems with it, but nothing like Zodia and Bio Spot which is very bad for all dogs.

My vet seems to believe Vectra is safe and is selling it now and not Frontline. I am suspicious of new products and prefer FL and Advantage.

I gather there are problems with Vectra?

Suzanne