Dental Vaccine

I have heard that there is a vaccination dogs can get to help control/prevent gingivits and periodontal disease. It is called the Canine Porphyromonas Vaccine.

Has anyone's dog had this? If so, do you think it's helped?

Ruby has gum disease, and right now her teeth aren't so great, in spite of the dental she had six months ago. :( In one week, she goes back to the vet for another x-ray of her front leg---to see if it might indeed be bone cancer :( --and if it ISN'T the dreaded osteo, she will need a dental SOON. I would like to discuss this vaccine with them, because if it can help, I will go for it. I realize it does not reduce the need for brushing, and we'll still brush of course; but every little bit might help.

Any experience with this?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I had one vet recommend it. She also charged a lot of money for everything.

I changed vets a couple of years ago and my new vet says the jury is still out on that vaccine as far as effectiveness.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest greytbookert

My vet doesn't recommend it, at least for my dogs anyway. Not sure if he does for other clients. I remember when it first came out, he said he wouldn't use it for quite some time as it was too new for him to trust. I haven't asked about it recently, though.

Duncan has it. He has no side effects whatsoever.

I elected to use it because:

1. His teeth aren't good. Even after a cleaning, they aren't pearly white. Raw feeding keeps tartar pretty much at bay, but it still builds up.

2. My dad was a dentist and I'm a nurse. Periodontal disease and bacterial endocarditis are things we have both seen. Not pretty pictures.

3. My vet has used it since it came out. He is pleased with its effectiveness.

4. Duncan's mouth looks much better with it than without it.

If your dog has good oral health, I would save my money.

Guest OurGreytLife
My vet doesn't recommend it, at least for my dogs anyway. Not sure if he does for other clients. I remember when it first came out, he said he wouldn't use it for quite some time as it was too new for him to trust. I haven't asked about it recently, though.

I work at a vet and I haven't heard about it yet either. I'll have to ask them about it. I know the vets I work for are leery about recommending something that is new.

I had it done with Daisy and had no side effects. It was hard to tell if it had any effect because we also started a regimine of twice a day brushing and weekly turkey necks after her dental.

My dental vet runs primarily a sighthound clinic and recommends it to all of his patients.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scfilby

Sorry to bring up an older post but..

Poor Cy had a tooth extraction today. He was a real mess when we picked him up, but he is up and about now. He was sooo out of it. I hate that he had to go through that..

Our vet recommended the vaccine today. Cost was in my opinion very reasonable, $30.00 dollars now, another $30.00 in three months, then $30.00 annually..

That is a far cry less expensive then the extraction was, or a regular dental..

We are seriously considering this for our old greygirl. If the vaccine can avoid risking anesthesia with her, it would be well worth it in our opinion..

I know this is new, does anyone have info on documented side effects?

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo first got the vaccine shortly after it was released in 2006.

He has had several boosters since with no side effects.

He was on an every 6-7 month dental schedule before the vaccine.

He went 13 months before a dental after the first vaccine. I still brushed his teeth faithfully.

It seems that his gum disease has picked up speed again since his last dental/booster was in March and it looks like he already needs another dental.

My work schedule is erratic and DH does not brush the kids without prompting from me so his teeth have not been brushed as frequently as they used to be.

Not sure if I will continue with boosters or not. They don't seem to be causing harm but they don't seem to be helping anymore either.