Blackhead "growth"

BauersMom

I looked at some of the previous blackhead pics, and didn't see anything quite like this... I'm starting to get very experienced with random growths. :lol

I'm thinking some sort of irritation from whatever he was lying on? Sand irritation? He has a seroma on his elbow and a few other bony spots, too.

IMG_4369.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest eaglflyt

Wow, that looks very irritated, inflamed and painful. I'd suggest a vet visit right away. Sorry, but I have no experience with this, but would definitely go to the vet if I did.

Best wishes and good luck for this precious hound.

When I adopted Amanda 5 years ago, she had the same thing on both of her butt cheeks. They bothered her a lot and you couldn't touch them. We cleaned them up with Chlorhexi scrub every so often but otherwise just left them alone. Now, she still has some raised areas but they are much, much better.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest eaglflyt
Yes, of course, vet appt is for tomorrow at 9. But you know, sometimes it helps to have an idea before you go in!

I completely understand. I usually ask here when we're on our way to the vet, too. ; )

Let us know what you find out. I hope it is something that's simple to treat and that it is resolved quickly.

This looks a little bit like what my new boy has, which the vet said was an ulcer. She said it would probably heal on its own now that he's only lying on soft surfaces but that I could put some neosporin on it if I wanted. I've been doing that, and it's healing, but it's a very slow process. Hope your boy feels better soon!

Guest goodtimekid

Vet said that Kid and Smokey both have contact dermatitis and she gave me some prescription wipes that seem to be helping. However, theirs didn't look as angry as your pups' is. Hope you had good luck at the vet.

Guest tricolorhounds

Most of the Guam dogs arrived in similar condition. It turned out to be large amount of bacteria build up on the concrete where they had been housed, causing infected pores/blackheads.

Hector the English foxhound got bounced from the show ring because he had something very similar. He was sleeping on concrete (!), and the owners didn't see fit to rectify that.

He kept it for months afterwards, but it got better. Barbara also used a cold laser she owns (for her horses) on it, and it improved some after that, too.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Well, the vet hasn't a clue. She has some thoughts - contact with hard surfaces/hygroma/seroma, infected pores, etc. - but nothing definite.

However, while we were there, he vomited bile twice.... after vomiting twice that morning at my house too. :( So she WAS going to put him on a course of ATBs to see if that helped, but we're holding off for now until we get his tummy under control.

He hasn't eaten at all since we picked him up, and now he has bright orange diarrhea, so we're trying to figure that all out. He's on a course of flagyl and an anti-nausea meds. He was wormed w/ Drontal Plus sunday, but maybe a course of panacur is in order.

Oh, and he's also + for Lyme, and the full tick panel should be back soon. Ugh.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest UESBrindle

William had some infected pores (although not that bad) and someone suggested using a warm compress on the area, which will help to open them up and hopefully get some of the infection out. Maybe this would help to make him more comfortable until you can take care of the other issues??

Good luck, and I hope it can clear up soon.

Guest Mommy2Gideon
When I adopted Amanda 5 years ago, she had the same thing on both of her butt cheeks. They bothered her a lot and you couldn't touch them. We cleaned them up with Chlorhexi scrub every so often but otherwise just left them alone. Now, she still has some raised areas but they are much, much better.

This doesn't seem to be painful to him Sheila. At least it wasn't on Sunday after I picked him up. I brought him back to my house before Emma came to pick him up, and we gave him a bath. We touched it a little bit at first and when there was no reaction we washed it a little more and he never even flinched. It's soft and plyable. Honestly it didn't feel any different then the rest of his bare belly other than feeling like loose/extra skin.

Guest eaglflyt
Well, the vet hasn't a clue. She has some thoughts - contact with hard surfaces/hygroma/seroma, infected pores, etc. - but nothing definite.

However, while we were there, he vomited bile twice.... after vomiting twice that morning at my house too. :( So she WAS going to put him on a course of ATBs to see if that helped, but we're holding off for now until we get his tummy under control.

He hasn't eaten at all since we picked him up, and now he has bright orange diarrhea, so we're trying to figure that all out. He's on a course of flagyl and an anti-nausea meds. He was wormed w/ Drontal Plus sunday, but maybe a course of panacur is in order.

Oh, and he's also + for Lyme, and the full tick panel should be back soon. Ugh.

Oh my, I'm so sorry he's so very sick. I hope he feels better soon. Our girl recently had high fever and explosive vomiting. A Cerenia injection was wonderful for getting her vomiting to stop. She got IV fluids, too, and is still on antibiotics. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers that he is successfully treated and feeling better very soon. Thank you for taking such good care of him!