Headed To The Vet For The First Time!

Guest case529

Going to make our first visit to our vet! She is a friend of mine, so it will be fun. I want it to be fun for True too, so I'm letting her bandage his little scabby tail for me the first time to see how it goes and to show him that the vet isn't always scary.. She's checking one or two other things too, and hopefully, he won't be afraid. I'm going to make it fun, one way or another! :)

Good luck. My girl adores going to the vet -- and it's a good thing, because I take her over there an awful lot!

Good luck. My girl adores going to the vet -- and it's a good thing, because I take her over there an awful lot!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Energy11

Curfew loves Dr. Karen, and how, never stresses when he goes. Last time, he just laid down and let her take his blood. Cari, on the other hand, FREAKED out, but that is typically Cari.

Good luck! Some of mine love the vet and others just stand there and shake, and then there is Saint who barks his head off the whole time he's there.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Well, that was weird. I thought he would at least kind of like it, since it wasn't going to be too painful and I knew he'd get tons of attention...

But he became quite zombie like once we walked in the door and was SO determined to go the direction he wanted to go (which was straight to the back, where the docs hide out and the other animals all are). He has never pulled or been really stubborn, but he was today!!! He wasn't even interested in the other dogs, just going this one direction, really through one particular door. I guess he thought it was the way out and maybe he didn't dig the smell in there. I have been able to control him in any situation so far, but I couldn't get him to do what I wanted there today, and I didn't want to hurt him by pulling too hard. I looked like I didn't know what I was doing, that's for sure. Lol.

Had a fecal smear (he didn't adore that) and yelped once or twice when he was pulling so hard and his collar was getting tight. I think he was just scared. The staff there made such a big deal over him that it was almost embarrassing (but I of course appreciated it because I wanted True to kind of like it there). He is WAY too skinny-- at a mere 62 pounds (he was underweight when we got him, so i don't know if he has lost more or not, but that is one reason I took him in- to monitor it). He's a really big boy and should be around 70-72 pounds, so he's definitely underweight, but the vet said he looked great otherwise, beautiful teeth and just really healthy and very sweet.

Going out to the car, he was still acting strangely, and trying to pull all over the place (just by a very strong and steady leaning), and acted like he would get in the car with any of the people in the parking lot. He would not, however, get in our car. I had to call DH to come get him in (his office is two buildings away from the vet, fortunately). He would just stand at the back of the 4runner and not budge. My husband was able to get him in, however, with the running start that we always use (and that has worked for me until today).

I had decided long ago that I would not be the one to take the dogs to the vet. It stresses me out really badly when the dog gets stressed and I think I just make it all worse. I'll do the 3 cats, husband can do the dog.

True did get to hang his head out the back window on the way home, which he really seemed to like. That might be the first time he's ever done that in his life. Aww.

For most greyhounds, the first time they see the vet is for their spay or neuter and that's pretty traumatic for them. Some handle it well and others I think remember the minute they get inside the vet's office. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Cari was a MESS when she got home from her exam and bloodwork a few weeks ago. Panting, pacing, belly distended (that worried me). I gave her a Gas-X and 5 mg. of Valium. After a small bout of diarrhea, she was fine. Nerves, for sure. Sorry our guy had such a bad time... he may get better.

http://gallery.me.com/themayerfam/100048/D...=12529652090001

I'm testing this out to see if it works. This, would be TRUE!

Yowza. That is one HANDSOME needlenose you have there!

My boys have never been much on jumping into cars so I made some lightweight steps for them. Some folks use ramps but they are heavier.

Just in case: At most vets I've used, a tech or sometimes vet himself/herself is usually happy to come help get a dog back in the car. :)

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank you guys- He is totally himself (he is slowly but surely coming out of his brindle shell) today and actually got so excited to see me when I got up that he almost smiled. :)

I did think of the vet tech option to get his big body in the car, but i knew he could do it, and I thought he might feel excited or rewarded to get to see Dad. Make it have a happy ending for him. :)

I'm sure you're dog has been examined many times before, unless you've got a puppy? No reason to think she's going to be afraid.

In fact that's one of the cool things about greyhounds; they're so used to all the handling, they generally accept vet visits as nothing more than an opportunity to get some attention!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck