Moth Deterrents And Greys

My car has an infestation of moths or some other small (about 1/3" long) flying insect. I kid you not. I've tried swatting and daily vacuuming, but we're on the second generation. What could I use as a deterrent that won't hurt me or the greys, who ride in the car pretty frequently? I've read that moth balls or crystals have naphthalene, which can be dangerous when inhaled or ingested. I'm a little nervous about putting some in the car even when we aren't in it. Any suggestions?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Energy11

I'd spray the interior of your car with Adams Flea and Tick Mist, leave it closed overnight, and air it out before you use it. I use Adams for my flea and tick control for the greys, to kill spiders, you name it. I have TONS of moths around my house, as we leave the floodlights on all night to light up the front turnout pen. We are wayyyy out in the sticks, and there are, of course, no street lights. Good Luck with the moths !

Try cedar in your car--maybe the cedar blocks you can put in your clothes to discourage moths. When the smell starts to fade on the blocks, you can renew it just by sanding the blocks to expose a fresh surface.

Lavender also is said to discourage moths.

First, though, get the interior of your car well-cleaned: vacuum the carpet and upholstery thoroughly, and maybe even use a non-toxic upholstery cleaner. Moths attracted to clothing (or yarn, says this knitter) often are attracted to oils on the fiber.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Neither moth balls nor cedar will kill the moths; with the windows rolled up, they'll still be there if they're breeding inside the car somehow.

I take it your car is either too valuable to leave the windows rolled down overnight where you live?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Just leaving windows open hadn't helped. In fact, the moths evidently put out a call that the car was Party Central and wild moth orgies and associated larval binging on my headliner resulted.

Last night I tried a combination safe-for-greys flea spray and open windows. Today, just a few moths and unhappy-looking larvae. I felt it was safe to put the greys in the car this evening.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter