Flea Dermatitis

Guest BluMommy

Guest BluMommy

When we adopted Blu back in April, The lady form rescue said that he had a horrible flea infestation. They used Frontline and the fleas were gone!! :confetti

However he had BAD flea dermatitis on his back legs that was already healing.

Unfortunately, while the left leg completely healed and looks wonderful, the right leg has been a constant battle :headwall:huh2

Our vet did a skin scraping which came back negative! :yay

We have tried creams, sprays, and antibiotics to NO avail. He is now on Steroids which seemed to be working for a while and was also helping him no bite at it constantly

which does not help with the healing. But now the healing is at a standstill again :huh:(

I talked to the vet yesterday and he wants to keep Blu on the steroids for another week and if that does not work we are going to check his thyroid.. My poor boy

I just want this to got away!!! :angryfire

Has anyone ever dealt with this? what worked/didn't work?

TIA!

Raquel & Blu!

Guest ThunderPaws

I had a few fosters with bad flea dermatitis. It usually took only about 2 months for the skin to heal and smooth out and hair to start growing back. Blu's condition seems to be more severe, maybe allergies? I am surprised the steroids don't help.

Guest BluMommy
I had a few fosters with bad flea dermatitis. It usually took only about 2 months for the skin to heal and smooth out and hair to start growing back. Blu's condition seems to be more severe, maybe allergies? I am surprised the steroids don't help.

That is what my vet thought too.. he is hoping the cooler weather we should be getting in the next few weeks will help...

Guest boondog

This was my experience when I had a foster with really bad flea dermatitis. Her whole back half was pretty much bald. She took a few months to recover, but I didn't have to do anything special. I gave her fish oil and used Itch Stop (from Drs. Foster & Smith) on occasion. Blu's does seem to be worse than what I saw.

Might want to try topical steroid instead of oral. The one I have is Genesis spray.

Assume doggy has been bathed recently and is currently 100% flea free?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

my vet has advised me to use hydro cortisone w/ aloe, gobs of it on hot spots and flea reactions. the dogs seems to love the aloe, and it's messy but works. i buy it in bulk at costco. it's really frustrating waiting for a reaction to run full circle. i personally have had horrid allergic reactions demonstrated thru my skin and it has taken a regime of steroids, creams galore and lots of time....i have reacted to the antibiotics that are given to chicken- not fun, rashes from head to toe and full sun burn type reaction. be patient.

Aveeno for diaper rash has worked well for my hounds. This flea season has been brutal. Waiting for my eBay Advantage instead of Frontline 2 that I've used this summer - and - it didn't and hasn't worked very well.

Edited by Draper

For hot spots, neosporin ointment or aloe vera works rapidly. The one leg may not be healing because that is the leg the dog rests on and it is not exposed to the air for healing possibly.

Years ago they had these little machines which emitted a very high pitch sound not audible to human or doggie's ears which would rid the house of all sorts of insects. The fleas could hang outside for a while, but as soon as the doggie re enters they leave real fast. By the next season there are none in or out. B)

Guest eaglflyt

Our oldest female dachshund had horrible flea dermatitis a couple of years ago. Advantage quit working for us then and she suffered terribly. Even though we quickly got rid of all fleas, her skin was a mess for, literally, months. She was given a steroid injection, oral steroids, oral antibiotics and I used topical antibiotic and steroid creams. Her itching was non-stop. She had chewed areas on her back, sides, and tail that were terrible. It took several weeks (2 or 3 months) for her skin to clear up ... it finally dried up and then huge scabs peeled off. Her hair fully grew back during the cooler months.

This year we've stayed on top of it by starting very early with monthly applications of Frontline Plus and at least weekly checks with a flea comb to make sure it's still being effective. We also keep Adams spray on hand just in case we have any recurrence of fleas if they become resistant to the Frontline Plus. So far, this season she has been flea and dermatitis free. I hope to never have to battle her skin issues like that again. But, it will resolve for your dog eventually. Keep a close eye out for fleas. Treat them immediately if any are found. Try keeping his sore leg blocked from being chewed on, if at all possible. Try the topical treatments that your vet suggests. We also used a Elizbethan collar for Ellie to keep her from chewing her skin. It worked. Maybe one of the soft E collars would work for your boy.

Having been through this very issue with Ellie, the best treatment for your boy in the future is prevention. Ellie is super allergic and it was a big battle to get her skin well. Best wishes and good luck!

Edited by eaglflyt