Fentanyl Patch.....easiest Way To Remove

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Cavoc has a fentanyl patch on his side and it needs to come off today but I am having some difficulty getting it off. It is stuck on there pretty good and when I start to pull at it he gets a little mouthy. Muzzling him is not an option b/c he had surgery on his ears and I would be afraid that the muzzle would hurt him. I know that leaving the patch on won't really hurt him b/c all there isn't any more medicine in it anyways but I would really like to take it off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just leave it until it falls off. There shouldn't be much, if any, drug left in it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't use alcohol or any type of solvent, as that might drive drug into the skin--if there is any left.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest longdogs

Take it slowly. Lift a corner or two and get some oil, vasoline or anything similar on the skin under the patch. Let it sit a while, then roll the edge back a little and add more oil. Repeat until it peels off.

Guest BrisBrindles

The easiest way to get them off if Eucalyptus oil, or failing that, Tea Tree Oil (diluted to 15% - should say on the side of the bottle what the dilution is).

Most any oil will work, but Euc works wonders, takes the "sticky" out and leaves no residue.

BTW< Fentanyl DOES still have medicine in it, which is why one must always dispose of properly, ie the garbage can, wrapped in non-recyclable plastic. The amount left in 1 patch, if used by a human OR animal, can be enough to seriously harm or potentially be fatal to a smaller dog or cat, depending upon the original dosage and the size of the animal ingesting it.

Guest Energy11

A lot of people on here use oil. I keep surgical adhesive remover here for that type of thing. You should be able to get it in any drug store. Good Luck ... OUCH! :-(