Rear End Trembling And Panting

Guest FLT

I was hoping someone might have some advice for me.

Kaylee (will be 8 years old in November) and has had three recent episodes of rear end trembling. She is the littermate to Drake the slow healing greyhound that had the two masses removed from both of his left legs three months ago.

A month or so ago I had Kaylee at a Fidos For Freedom Therapy dog visit and when we were almost done the hour long visit at a nursing home she started having some rear end trembling and a bit of panting, which I associated with stress induced when an elevator made an abrupt drop / jolt and startled her. We continued on our way out and she was fine by the time we got home 25 min later.

Two weeks ago I had her at a Therapy dog demo and after we stood around for about half an hour her rear end started trembling even worse than before.. both rear legs looking like sewing machine arms as they trembled up and down really fast. I took her outside and she peed, but then she continued to tremble and pant and I opted to take her out of the visit and home. By the time we got home 45 min later she was fine.

Tonight just after we fed the pups dinner Kaylee decided she REALLY didn't want to go outside in the side yard for some reason (and I note a fresh scrape on a front leg - so I think she may have scratched herself coming or going on her last trip outside earlier in the day) and she started with the crazy fast rear legs trembling again. Once again her whole hind end looked like what happens when you run a sewing machine at maximum speed - super fast trembling in both rear legs which vibrated the whole living room. She's been panting and pacing and trembling. I knew she had to potty, and took her out the front door on leash. She immediately peed in the front yard, and after only a moment or two more she pooped as well. She had no problems squatting for either, and seems to be walking just fine.

She is still having some slight trembling now, about 45 min after she started - and she is still panting. She appears to be starting to settle down too, having done about half an hour of pacing after we went outside for potty before she even considered lying down.

I have noticed no symptoms other than the trembling and panting (and restlessness in this case).

Does anyone have a suggestion about what this might be? Of course a vet visit is on my list to deal with, but I like to hear the wisdom of my fellow greytalkers too.

Thank you!

FL (with greyhounds Drake and Kaylee, and angel Chester).

Guest SusanP

This sounds very much like our Zippy when there is a thunderstorm. It could be that your girl is feeling stressed over some of these activities. It sounds like she was fearful of going out today just when the trembling began.

Guest greytful4
This sounds very much like our Zippy when there is a thunderstorm. It could be that your girl is feeling stressed over some of these activities. It sounds like she was fearful of going out today just when the trembling began.

It does seem like it might be stressed related, but wouldn't she be trembling all over if that were the case? I'd give the vet a quick call...for peace of mind.

Guest ChasesMum

I would say possibly stress as well. or maybe she could use a chiro adjustment? I notice Chase does this sometimes after a run in the yard... different cause but sounds identical in description.

Thane did the same sewing machine arm vibration that you describe whenever he went to the vet. All stress for him.

Gracie did the same thing when she was coming off morphine for disc narrowing/pinched nerves. At the onset she did not lay down for 15 hours. She was able to squat to pee.

So for us, panting + pacing = extreme stress or pain.

Hope you can get some answers soon.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest meakah

I would say it is just nerves. Koda does this A LOT. She does it every time we go for a car ride (which is at least a couple of times a week) and whenever we are in public with scary things/people around. She also does it when there are loud noises....thunderstorms....etc etc etc. She is a spook so hence why she does it so often. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If your pup doesn't look all that stressed in ALL of the situations then I would cough it up to fatigue....standing around too long. I wouldn't bother with a vet visit it if it were me. Sounds totally normal. And yes....it is always isolated to Koda's hind end....often just the left rear leg.

Thanks to all for their soothing words about it just being nerves. I'm still going to take Kaylee in and see what the Vet says (we need to have her teeth assessed for a few more extractions anyway - so I'll just roll those appointments together).

I'm still worried if it's nerves - because she used to never have problems with going to do Therapy visits (always has fun, lots of treats, petting and praise). if it's arthritis we can work on pain management of course, and if it's something neural we need to get a baseline now to compare against if things move downhill.

She continued to tremble a bit on and off most of the rest of the evening for some reason.. but she seems her normal self today and went out with no problem at all this morning. Weird!

Check for a UTI.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Check for a UTI.

Yes, especially as you have a vet visit coming up. It could definitely *just* be stress or arthritis, but have you run a Thyroid panel recently? Hypothyroidism can cause rear end weakness. Just a thought.

We do Therapy Dog visits too. The pups love their outings :colgate

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

We've got an appointment next week.. she hasn't trembled again since the bout that I posted about. Sorry not to have a sooner update. Drake has been having a 3x this week vet appointment thing (different vet), so since she isn't showing active signs she's getting pushed (sorry Kaylee!)

I'll post an update next week, and thank you very much for asking :-)

FL