Need Prayers For Beau-blitz

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Hi GreyTalk - I'm a new member but have been using GreyTalk for research for years. Thank you very much for all of the helpful information! This is a great forum.

Mr. Beau-Blitz is our grey. He's been with us for 5 years and he's 9 years old. I originally adopted him for my parents who are elderly (I live with them and I'm their caregiver), but Blitz has really become "my guy" and my constant companion.

However, today he had to be hospitalized. Three weeks ago he starting yelping occasionally for no apparent reason. He would lift his left front paw sometimes afterwards, but I couldn’t see anything wrong with it. I brought him to the vet thinking it was a possible broken toe – no break. We watched it for a week but it didn’t get any better, so I took him to the vet again and they x-rayed his entire limb – nothing. They felt it could be a soft tissue injury and told me to bring him back in a week if he wasn’t better. He got worse, and on Monday I noticed his back left paw beginning to drag. He also he started hanging his head occasionally in a way I’ve never seen before and was panting almost constantly.

Long story short – they now believe it’s either a herniated disc or possibly a tumor in his spine. They gave him an injection of steroids Monday to reduce inflammation and put him on oral steroids starting Tuesday, but this morning he could barely walk. They recommended he have an MRI to find out exactly what’s going on. He’s at Tufts Veterinary Hospital now, and he’s scheduled for an MRI tomorrow morning (with surgery to follow if it's disc-related).

If you have time and are so inclined, please say a pray for him. We want him back with us and happy and healthy. Our family will be completely devastated if it's cancer. Dad already has leukemia and cancer in his lymph nodes, and Mom has Alzheimer's. I'm not sure we can take much more.

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes for your boy...and for all of you.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Best wishes for all of you. :goodluck:clover:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Good thoughts and prayers for Beau-Blitz as well as you and your family.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest BeauBlitzMom

Blitz.jpg

UPDATE ON BLITZ

Just got the results of the MRI - NO CANCER YAY!! :colgate

They did find small bits of disc broken off around the spine where the nerve would go down to his leg. However, the attending thinks the bits of disc are too small to be the real cause of the pain and lameless Blitz is experiencing, so they did a spinal tap. We have to wait until this afternoon for those results.

Does anyone know what other conditions might show up as a result of the spinal tap? I know spinal taps test for auto-immune disease, but I can't imagine anything auto-immune could cause Blitz's condition, could it?

Thanks so much for all of your prayers. We're thrilled that it's not cancer. I'll keep you posted on the results of the spinal tap.

Spinal fluid can show any kind of meningitis that could be going on also. Prayers for your sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest BeauBlitzMom

UPDATE 2

Spinal tap came back normal (hooray!). However, they're puzzled now because they really don't believe that the minor indication on the MRI could be causing the severity of his symptoms. Blitz has been in the care of the Neuro team at Tufts so far. They're calling in the Ortho team tomorrow to consult. Unless the Ortho team can find something the Neuro team missed, they're going to assume it's still soft tissue injury. discharge him tomorrow night and keep him on pain meds with limited exercise for the next few weeks.

And no more collar - harness only for now.

Thanks again for all of your prayers. We can't wait to have our guy back home!!!

Gosh, this sounds so familiar. :( We went through weeks of wondering about Canyon too. (Canyon did end up having disc surgery in his neck and is doing so much better).

Sending many prayers for your sweet boy, yourself and your parents. :hope:hope:hope

Guest BeauBlitzMom
Gosh, this sounds so familiar. :( We went through weeks of wondering about Canyon too. (Canyon did end up having disc surgery in his neck and is doing so much better).

Sending many prayers for your sweet boy, yourself and your parents. :hope:hope:hope

Hi Annie - Thank you for your prayers! Do you remember how "bad" the initial damage was to Canyon's disc? Blitz's MRI showed only a "minor" bulge of one disk (C6-7), but it was on the right side (his pain is on the left side) so Tufts felt the damage wouldn't explain his symptoms. Was Canyon's disc damage also "minor" but causing lots of pain?

My gut is telling me his pain is related to that disc damage. I'm certainly no vet, but after 3 weeks of only leash-walking, I think the pain from a soft tissue injury should have begun to subside by now...

Thanks again!