Might Have Eaten A Peach Pit - Now What?

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

I think one of them might have eaten a peach pit a couple of minutes ago. Should we make them vomit, watch them, or something else?

Guest wdlndgreasil
I think one of them might have eaten a peach pit a couple of minutes ago. Should we make them vomit, watch them, or something else?

Just watch. Should be ok but you may have to induce vomiting. Hydrogen peroxide works in a pinch.

My dog Oliver once ate over 30 plums that fell off the tree in our yard. He passed one, but ended up throwing up the rest b/c we had to induce vomiting because we thought he ate something else - that's how we found out about all the other plums! He was like a lab, he'd even eat buttered rocks if you gave them to him.

Guest Energy11

I don't think I'd make them vomit, as a peach pit could TEAR their esophagus coming back up. I'd give some white bread, hotdog or hamburger rolls to help it "ease" it's way through the stomach/intestines.

You MIGHT want to call your local E-vet just to be sure. Sorry this happened, and it is ALWAYS on the weekends~

Hydrogen Peroxide, about 2 tablespoons given till they vomit, would work, but again, my concern might be the sharp edges, vomiting it back up. E-vet could tell you better than I.

Guest jupiterooos

Just watch. Should be ok but you may have to induce vomiting. Hydrogen peroxide works in a pinch.

OK, how do I know if I should induce vomiting?

Guest Energy11

OK, how do I know if I should induce vomiting?

I would call the E-vet in your area and see what they say. It is really hard to call with it being a peach pit.

I would feed white bread, 4 or 5 slices, I also agree with Energy11 it may not be good to have the pup vomit, if she has an issue, she may vomit on her own, I can't begin to tell you what mine vomit back up, things I never knew they ATE! Good Luck

Guest Energy11
I would feed white bread, 4 or 5 slices, I also agree with Energy11 it may not be good to have the pup vomit, if she has an issue, she may vomit on her own, I can't begin to tell you what mine vomit back up, things I never knew they ATE! Good Luck

They ARE canine vacuums, aren't they?

Yeah, I just worry about "bringing up" sharp things, as they can tear on "their way back." Same goes for caustic substances ... if they burn going down, they will burn coming up. Those, you dilute with milk and bread.

Curfew at a whole rolled up CET toothpaste container (all aluminum with SHARP edges), a few weeks ago. I opted for two hotdog rolls, and "everything came out fine." I was afraid to make him vomit, due to the sharp edges.

Guest jupiterooos

Called the vet, and he said to give them peroxide along with bread and take them on a walk. Jupiter puked - no peach pit, but we found a corncob - but nothin' from Angler. We're waiting a bit and trying again, as per instructions...isn't it odd that he didn't throw up at all, though?

Guest Energy11
Called the vet, and he said to give them peroxide along with bread and take them on a walk. Jupiter puked - no peach pit, but we found a corncob - but nothin' from Angler. We're waiting a bit and trying again, as per instructions...isn't it odd that he didn't throw up at all, though?

SOMETIMES they don't throw up. You can keep giving the peroxide, till they do. CORNCOB?? Boy, you do have a canine vacuum there! Hope "all comes out well", LITERALLY! Corncobs can be a problem as well.

Guest snakes

we had a peach pit eaten here as well, as well as a few other things that shouldn't be eaten (bottle cap, fast food sauce container...). I find that given time, usually about 24-36hrs they bring it up on their own, no problem. If the dog brings it up by its own natural reflexes there is less likelihood of damaging the insides as there would be with forcefull vomiting from hydrogen peroxide.

Guest 3greysinPA

i only had to give Lilly 2 tbsps of H2O2 that time she ate the box of raisins.. including the box...

But it took about 15 minutes for her to puke ... and the poor thing just stood in the yard.. i stayed there with her the whole time..

She puked about 5 times... and then she was done...

Did you know your dog got the corn cob?

Did the peach pit come up yet?

keep us posted...

Before I had greys I had a keeshond mix that ate a peach pit. He got me up in the middle of the night to go outside and he kept walking around trying to poop but nothing came out. Ended up calling the vet, took x-rays and saw the blockage, had emergency surgery and he lost quite a bit of his intestines. Nothing to fool around with so I would keep a close eye on the dog. I do hope it is not anything serious.

For some odd reason I asked the vet to give me the peach pit and I have kept it all these years in a container (quite odd I think). This was about 1990.

Edited by brandimom

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest jupiterooos

Peach pit pooped!!!!! :D It was Angler this time. We figured he had eaten one (we found peach guts, but no pit, all over our comforter; Angler likes to enjoy his illicit treats there) and now we know! Hope that was the last one....