Rickie Is Losing Hair On The Left Side Of His Chest

Hair is coming out in small clumps on the left side of Rickie's chest. There is an irregular bald patch about two inches wide and 5 inches long that is gradually increasing in size.

He has to go in for punch biopsies for a couple of unrelated and not close bumps on Monday and the vet will likely biopsy this area too (have asked them to do a skin scraping and look at that first).

Given the time proximity and the fact this is happening on the same side as the infection he had some weeks ago, it seems to me this is somehow related to the infection, but my vet is not convinced given the distance between chest and foot.

My questions are:

- has anyone had fur just start to drop like this (ignoring the usual butt baldness) and if so, what was the cause, and

- has anyone had something like this happen following an aggressive infection.

Thank you for your thoughts and experiences.

I hope you get to the bottom of it Mary, I hate hearing anything is wrong with Rickie.

This may be totally unrelated but Wayne has a ton of bald spots this summer due to his allergies. This is the worst it's been since he's been here. And it's all on his left side.

Please keep us posted and give him a big hug from me and you know who

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LindsaySF

What do the other bumps look like?

A skin scraping will help. It could be a skin infection (Staph is most common). Maybe the antibiotics for the foot weren't taken for long enough?

If he keeps getting weird bumps and recurring infections I would suspect a depressed immune system, you'd want to do bloodwork to test for hypothyroidism, Cushing's, etc.

Rickie has 2 black small mole-like bumps - 1/4 inch or less in diameter, one on his bum, one on his chest, other side. It was needle-biopsied a couple of weeks ago and the cells came back "consistent with a cyst" but I don't like the look of it or the fact that he has two, so they are going to come off.

It's too soon to say about recurring infections, but to date he doesn't have any sort of pattern / ongoing problem that way.

Rickie was on Antirobe for 18 days and also on Baytril for the first 4 of those days (emergency clinic put him on both for his foot, my regular clinic discontinued the Baytril). He finished the Antirobe on Thursday. The hair loss developed while Rickie was still on antibiotics.

I was away for 5 days and noticed the hair loss when I returned on Monday evening - the area has doubled or more in size since then. I thought at first it was licking but surprisingly (to me) it doesn't seem to bother him. My husband worked from home while I was away and I have been absent before without issue, so I don't think it's stress-related.

The foot infection was very bad (it went from no outward sign in the AM to swelling heading up the leg and toes leaking blood within 15h) and the toe where it seems to have started eventually lost skin on each side and the black pad tissue on the bottom. That is still healing though it looks much better.

It is the aggressiveness of that infection that makes me wonder if this is somehow related. It will be very interesting to see what the tests on Monday show. (The foot infection wasn't cultured - the foot was so swollen and sore the vet didn't want to stick a needle into it.)

It will be very interesting to see what the tests show on Monday (or later if they end up having to send a sample out).

Vet just called. The skin scraping was negative and the vet thinks the area looks better than it did, so we are not going to biopsy it and I'll just keep an eye on it.

Hoping for continued improvement. Please give Rickie a big hug from us

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless