Update On Carl's Cornea Problems

We went to the ophthalmologist yesterday for a follow-up. I had a feeling the news would be good...but I didn't know it would be this good. She told us that they looked great, that they will never be completely clear, but that she felt that they will continue to get better. She said we didn't need to come back for follow up for A YEAR!!!! :eek I gasped and told her I wasn't sure I could go that long, that it made me feel untethered! So, right now I think, unless something changes for the worse, I'll make an appointment for March or April.

Here's what she wrote up:

BOTH EYES:

1) Peripheral LIPID KERATOPATHY, reexamination. Both cornease are much improved from the 3/09 examination. Although areas of opacifcation remain present in the perilimbal area of each cornea, the deposits are greatly reduced in density, and blood vessels have grown into most areas of the peripheral cornea (she told me that this is a good thing!).

2) The extraocular and intraocular structures are otherwise within normal limits at this time.

No eye medications are required at this time.

OTHER:

Continue thyroid and any other medications prescribed by Dr. Bamford.

COMMENTS:

Carl's eyes and his hair coat are greatly improved!!!

They couldn't get over how much better his coat looks and were thrilled to see that his thighs were filling in (especially one of them) and the bald patch on his throat is filling in, too. He gets the royal treatment when he's there. They all come out to visit us in the lobby, they say they've never had a dog tolerate an eye exam as well as he does. He just stands there and doesn't even blink!

I'm sooooooo glad I changed vets (3 times) and asked for a full thyroid panel. I'm glad I followed my gut and not conventional wisdom.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Connie, that's great! Wayne wants Carl to know he's happy for his buddy.

Who would have ever guessed that his thyroid caused the problem

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless