Puppy Oliver's Neck Injury

Guest deanna

Guest deanna

Ollie and Banjo collided at the park last night...it was really mild, and actually, he does this frequently. He's just a giant klutz. But this time he must have landed all wrong (read: face planted), and he injured his neck. Probably most similar to us humans 'throwing our backs out.' He tweaked it good.

He was immobile, lying on his side, having neck spasms for a good 3 minutes. Scared the poop out of me. I was reluctant to even move him out of fear that he'd broken his neck/back. A few minutes after the collision, he perked up, sat up, then laid back down. He did this a few times. Then 5-6 minutes after collision he got up and stumbled around like a drunk person... then after a minute of walking he worked himself out.

We were watching his every move ready to scoop him up and off to the e-vet...

We kept him still, but encouraged him to stand and walk, then out of nowhere: the dreaded scream of death.

So, it was time to go. Jared scooped him up, still screaming and put him in the cab of the truck in my lap where he just collapsed. He was totally still all the way to our vet, who's also an e-vet. When we got there, he still wasn't walking so J carried him in. = me scared poopless.

Anyway, in the end, our vet who initially saw Ollie as a baby happened to be on duty and she saw him and decided a: that she couldn't believe it was the same puppy who came in just 8 months ago. and b: that he's in the immediate sense, ok, nothing broken, he's just gonna be one sore doggie, and we went home with pain meds and muscle relaxers. Luckily, I work at home and can keep an eye on him for any changes. Me and J slept in the living room with everyone last night, put his huge tempurpedic bed next to the futon, and at about 1am he jumped in bed with us. :heart

WHEW!! Anyway, any advice on caring for a wrenched 9 month old puppy neck? He's holding his head very still, very guardedly. It hurts to lift his head. So when he wakes up with his head hanging off his bed, he whimpers and I help him up. His walking is funny, his back legs are wobbly because he won't lift his head all the way. Immobile head + legs that are too long = awkward drunken stumbling.

I was thinking, if he's feeling ok, I'll take him to our neighborhood cafe. He gets so much loving there, he'll be distracted, and moving gently and stretching those muscles. Also, I'm getting him a harness today. No more collar for a while. Anything else? Massage techniques? Chiropractors in LA?

No more WWF wrestling for Ollie and Jared. They're both crushed. :(

Guest Energy11

Did the vet rule out any head injuries? If he hit hard enough, that could be a consideration.

Did the vet give you any Deramaxx, Metacam or Rimadyl for his pain, and swelling?

Really, no other advice, but to keep him as quiet as you can and be sure he has some type of pain meds, which also help the swelling (one of the above three).

Good Luck and sorry this had to happen! If he starts to worsen, especially starts vomiting, it MIGHT be indicative of a head injury/brain swelling. Glad you are able to keep an eye on him!

Guest TheDoggfather

D, same thing happened to Petey when he was a wee lad. Mama Annie was doing zoomies out inthe yard and she took him out.. big time. Wrenched his neck all kinds of ways. Turns out, he'd suffered from a concussion. I'd suggest you request your vet to check for signs of a concussion. Knowing how hard they can barrel into each other, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he suffered from one...especially with the lingering symptoms you're describing.

Don't be afraid to have him get some accupuncture or a chiropractic adjustment if his stiffness doesn't subside.

Edited by TheDoggfather

Guest knitkass

cookies, lots and lots of cookies.

Also, if you can get him to tolerate hot/cold packs, that might help as well.

Guest Energy11
D, same thing happened to Petey when he was a wee lad. Mama Annie was doing zoomies out inthe yard and she took him out.. big time. Wrenched his neck all kinds of ways. Turns out, he'd suffered from a concussion. I'd suggest you request your vet to check for signs of a concussion. Knowing how hard they can barrel into each other, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he suffered from one...especially with the lingering symptoms you're describing.

Don't be afraid to have him get some accupuncture or a chiropractic adjustment if his stiffness doesn't subside.

DITTO on checking for the concussion. Does sound like that.

I would probably not take him anywhere for at least 2 or 3 days. He is apt to get excited and may not be careful and thus, may reinjure.

Chiropractors are great in keeping the spine flexible but, if there is a problem already, then a chiropractic treatment can cause more inflammation which is probably not what you want right now.

Guest greytexplorer

As the resident Klutz in the family, and recipient of 3 concussions during my childhood, I strongly second what Doggfather said :nod

And especially after that actress died from a seemingly innocuous bang to her head :(

Poor babies...all of you! I certainly would have been pooping in my pants, too. You were so lucky the vet on duty knew Oliver! I agree with the above, I'd keep Oliver home and quiet for 2 - 3 days, with all the love and wiggling he would get/give and do at the cafe he could make things worse.

As for a chiropractor, Nancy Evans does acupuncture out in Shadow Hills, her daughter is my vet, Dr. Megan Bamford. Dr. Bamford does chiro, she also practices allopathic as well as homeopathic medicine. I LOVE her!!!! Her practice has been closed for a while, but I think she's got some spots open. One thing to know, she runs her practice out of the back of Nancy's home, she is not set up to do xrays, ultrasound, surgery, etc., but she will refer you for those. She referred me to two fantastic ophthalmologists (one for Sheila, then another for Carl when she learned that Sheila's had moved to the east coast). I just cannot say enough good things about her.

Her number is: 818.768.0954. You have to fill out a fairly extensive questionnaire to become a patient, I believe it is on their website, Redrowan.

Edited for spelling and additional information.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BiancasMom

i would be concerned about a possible disc injury. Nerulogic signs can be intrepreted as Wobbliness or "drunkedness". I would assume your vet did a thorough neurlogic exam but if not make sure to get one! Usually with any neck injury it is recommened to not allow any jumping or rough-housing and make sure stairs are done slowly and supervised. I would agree with the anti-inflammatory route (Metcam, Rimadyl or Deramaxx), that should bring a lot of comfort. Definitley get the harness like you planned too. I hope he feels better soon!

Guest deanna

thanks for the responses!

we have an anti-inflamatory, a muscle relaxer and a pain reliever. can't remember the names off hand.

she did do what seemed to be a thorough neurological exam, checking his eyes, reactions, sensations all around his body/feet.

time to go get some yummy treats to go along with meds...

Guest Annie

Deanna, I don't mean to worry you, but we went through similar symptoms with Canyon. It turned out to be more serious than we could have ever imagined.

This Thread is pre surgery: PRE SURGERY

This Thread is post surgery: Canyon's recovery Thread

They are very long reads, but might hold some valuable information for you if Oliver's injury turns out to be disc related. You are also welcome to PM me.

Sending many prayers for your boy. :hope:hope:hope

Edited to add links.

Edited by Annie

Guest Annie

I just wanted to add that I would suggest you crate rest your Oliver and only take him out for potty breaks. The only thing that will help a neck injury is crate rest, crate rest, crate rest.

It could take up to 6 weeks, but you should start seeing improvement slowly but surely. If it is in fact one of his discs, movement will exacerbate his injury.

If we had been given this information in a timely manner, Canyon might have been able to heal without the extensive and invasive surgery that resulted.

Guest deanna

annie. thank you so much! ollie's out grown his crate (he's SO TALL). but i have an x-pen. he's peacefully drugged and sleeping now. :heart

poor little angel.

Guest Energy11

SOOOO SORRY to hear this! Soooo, very very sorry!

I am sure you did what was best for Oliver!

We are sorry you had to go through this!

Edited by Energy11

It's very curious that the vet missed a broken neck. Was there not an x-ray at first?

I could not be sorrier, Deanna.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).