Pustules On Wisker

My Iggy Flex has discoid lupus. He has been doing great..but recently his nose began crusting up. It hasn't progressed any further (to bleeding) than that. I have been diligent with putting vitamin E on his nose (get it and salmon oil in his food) keeping him out of the sun. Over a week ago he developed a pustule on his snout around a whisker. He occasionally gets pustules on his body and once or twice needed meds for it. Vet said if it was just one to leave it alone and keep an eye on him...I kept it clean with a baby wipe and put some panalog on it. Now he has three and this morning was swatting at his snout. I have an appt. at the vet for him tomorrow morning. Has anyone had experience wit this their hound? Thanks. Donna

Actuall yes, Beau was getting them on his tummy- from the pred and imuran. I have gotten the pus out and they dry up. ML told me the same thing- keep an eye on and make sure he doesn't get too many.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't know if it's made many inroads into the veterinary realm, but the use of naltrexone (low dose naltrexone- a drug that is virtually without side-effects) has been suggested for lupus in humans. It seems to be far more popular back east- which makes sense as it comes from a physician in New York- so perhaps your vet may be familiar with it. The dose for an iggy would be a tiny one indeed!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest 2greysinPA
My Iggy Flex has discoid lupus. He has been doing great..but recently his nose began crusting up. It hasn't progressed any further (to bleeding) than that. I have been diligent with putting vitamin E on his nose (get it and salmon oil in his food) keeping him out of the sun. Over a week ago he developed a pustule on his snout around a whisker. He occasionally gets pustules on his body and once or twice needed meds for it. Vet said if it was just one to leave it alone and keep an eye on him...I kept it clean with a baby wipe and put some panalog on it. Now he has three and this morning was swatting at his snout. I have an appt. at the vet for him tomorrow morning. Has anyone had experience wit this their hound? Thanks. Donna

hi there,

yes, i have experience with this... This is what my German Shep had. Same issues her nose would crust over and then seemingly fall off in large chunks, it was horrible.. She also had bloody tumors on her sides of her body that would burst open at times... then fill again. It was horrible. :(

I rescued her from a German Shepherd rescue here in PA in 2000, We think she was about 6 or 7 years old, She lived another 2 years and then passed away from a very large cancerous tumor in her leg and the lupus. :sad1

She was a great dog.

f_yellow Rest In Peace Elly Girl f_yellow