Will Black Pad Tissue Grow Back?

Rickie recently had a very bad foot infection, with one toe being particularly badly affected. The top layer of skin has peeled off on the sides of that toe. This afternoon when I went to change the sock on his foot, I noticed the black pad material was coming off on the front part of the toe.

We went to the vet to have it trimmed off, and they have now bandaged the foot as well. We go back for a bandage change on Tuesday.

The vet said she was concerned about whether a new hard covering would form on the bottom of that toe.

Has anyone had experience with this? Does it grow back? If yes, how does that process go? If not, what have you had to do to compensate, e.g., therapaw boot for walking, that sort of thing.

Thank you for your help.

Guest Energy11

I would think the pad skin, like any skin, should grow back. IF not, most likely a bootie would be a good idea. There are several light booties out there.

Hope it all turns out well!

My Faolin lost part of the outer pad covering on one toe once (I can't even remember how). Anyway, it certainly did grow back. Takes a good long while though but it does grow back.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My Faolin lost part of the outer pad covering on one toe once (I can't even remember how). Anyway, it certainly did grow back. Takes a good long while though but it does grow back.

Same here with Ekko, it grew back

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Dragonmom

my whippet Bella likes to come to skidding stops on our wooden deck. she has torn the skin on her stop pad(as i call it) so many times i should have stock in vet wrap. hers always grows back but it is often soft and tender for awhile.