Advice Needed

Hobbes just had dental surgery to remove all but four teeth. He was sent home with tramadol for the pain and Clindamycin which he has to take each twice a day. So far I can't even get him to eat even a bite of food so I'm not sure how to get the pills into him. His mouth is so sore and swollen I feel uncomfortable trying to put them down his throat and I don't think he would even let me at this point.

Any ideas on how I can get the meds into him?

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I usually use ice cream or cream cheese because it slides right down. If he'll let you, putting ice on the swelling will help it go down and help there to be less pain.

Mine have never wanted to eat the day of a dental, and if there were extractions, vet usually gives a shot for pain that should hold them until morning.

ETA: I'm not familiar with that antibiotic, so be sure dairy producys are ok with it. People here will probably know

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I usually use ice cream or cream cheese because it slides right down. If he'll let you, putting ice on the swelling will help it go down and help there to be less pain.

Mine have never wanted to eat the day of a dental, and if there were extractions, vet usually gives a shot for pain that should hold them until morning.

He actually had the dental on Tuesday but had many complications after the surgery, so he just got home this afternoon. He was on the Fentanyl Patch up until this morning but was taken off because the vet thought it could be the cause of some of the issues he was having. I need to get the pills into him as well as some food, after all he hasn't eaten now since Monday night. I'll try ice cream it's one of his favorites if that doesn't work I'm not sure what will.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

He actually had the dental on Tuesday but had many complications after the surgery, so he just got home this afternoon. He was on the Fentanyl Patch up until this morning but was taken off because the vet thought it could be the cause of some of the issues he was having. I need to get the pills into him as well as some food, after all he hasn't eaten now since Monday night. I'll try ice cream it's one of his favorites if that doesn't work I'm not sure what will.

Poor guy, please let us know how you make out. The Fentanyl takes awhile to get out of their system but I can't remember how many hours.

Hopefully the ice cream works

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Energy11

All great ideas. I THINK it takes at least 12 hours to get the Fentanyl out of his system. Yes, crushing up the pills are about the only way, and then, of course, figuring how to get them down. Hope your baby feels better VERY soon!

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We have used these meds at different times with our greys. So far each one would take the "pill" hidden in a small glob of peanut butter (they lick it off a spoon). :unsure

I have heard of people putting pills in a small glob of butter, putting it into the mouth and just holding the mouth closed. Once the butter starts melting, he will automatically start swallowing. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.

Guest MAXNAV

My guy had 10 teeth out at his last dental. He was swollen and totally out of it for 2 days. He had his dental on a Friday. He finally started eating a little bit of the stinkiest wet food I could find by Sunday morning. I couldn't give him pain meds or antibiotics until he ate enough food. I fed him small amounts of wet food throughout the day, and gave him about 3/4 of his food that evening with the meds. He had a good night sleep and by Monday, was eating normally and I was able to get the pills in regularly. I used beef, bacon & cheese Pedigree. He absolutely loved it's nasty smell. Good luck. I know what you're going through.

I always give Bailey ice cream balls (the pill hid inside a little ball of ice cream) or meatballs (the pill inside a little ball of canned dog food) and it just slides right down. I make the balls as small as possible but cover all of the pill and it works every time.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I have heard of people putting pills in a small glob of butter, putting it into the mouth and just holding the mouth closed. Once the butter starts melting, he will automatically start swallowing. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.

I tried this the other day with a friends pup.....worked like a charm!

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart