Beth Has A Sore Neck

For about a month Beth has been yelping occasionally when raising her head after she's been lying down. Yesterday she yelped once in the car when I braked a little harder and once when she had to come to a somewhat abrupt stop while running off leash, so I made a vet appointment for this morning (I was planning to bring it up in a week or so when she's due for her rabies shot).

The vet manipulated her head and felt deeply in her neck muscles and said her neck is slightly sore, though it doesn't seem too bad. He gave her a shot of Metacam and put her on a moderate dose of Deramaxx for a week, after which he wants to recheck her. He also showed me how to give her a deep-muscle massage in the affected area -- boy you could tell she really liked it when he was doing it!

And then -- since I know he does acupuncture and I've read it so recommended here for neck/spinal problems -- I asked him if he thought it would be good for her, and we did a session. She was very good, just yelped once when she turned her head and presumably got a little poke from one of the needles. Now she's totally zonked out, which he also said would be likely to happen afterwards (though as I said to him, it's hard to tell with greyhounds).

He told me no running for a week, but it's OK to walk her on leash so long as I use a harness (fortunately I have one).

Any comments? I'm so happy that even out here in a small city in Iowa I have a vet who does the holistic stuff as well as regular, and it always warms my heart how he and the techs absolutely dote on Beth and tell me what a wonderful dog she is. :wub:

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Poor babe, and poor momma -- hard to hear them hurting.

When "we" have neck issues, we try to stick to leash walking, as few stairs and leaps as possible, for last yelp + 10 days. Sending gentle scritchies and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mommydog

I hope she turns out to be a good responder. My bridge boy, Raffie, had a similar problem and needling worked like a charm for him.

Guest SoulsMom

Given that I have recently had the same problem with a bad disc in my own neck, I understand. I also had a pom years ago who had the same type of problem. He lived a very full and happy life, but would have his 'off' days when we knew he was hurting.

Hugs to you and Beth :grouphug

Thanks everybody. I don't know if it's a disc or just muscular -- the vet said he could feel that the muscles were tight. I guess he wanted to see if it responded to conservative treatment before doing anything more seriously diagnostic, since it seems pretty minor (before yesterday she yelped maybe once a day, and not every day). I'm so hoping this is just a passing thing.

No yelps today, anyway. I just can't imagine Beth not running for a week or more -- she's got a lot of energy, and gets playful and leaps around on the leash anyway. I've worked so hard to keep her really fit. At least she's used to taking fairly long walks at a brisk pace.

Edited by PrairieProf

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post an update . . . It's been about 2 1/2 weeks, and Beth just had her third acupuncture appointment this morning. She's been done with the Deramaxx for two days now. Anyway, no more yelps after just one a couple of days following the first appointment, and my vet says her neck muscles feel much looser now; she doesn't show any pain response to neck manipulation etc.

He said she could do brief runs last week, and we did that several times; he says that now I can gradually step up the amount. So things are looking good, though I'm still quite anxious especially now that we're off the meds (I've read so much about disc issues here, I'm still expecting her to have that and constantly looking for signs). We'll go back for another acupuncture treatment in about two weeks now. And he gave me some more Deramaxx to just keep on hand. Anyway, wish us good luck for continued good health!

Edited by PrairieProf

Hope Beth is feeling better.

Don't know if there is one in your area (or is your vet doing a comprehensive adjustment? sounds like a great vet) - but I finally found an human and animal chiropractor and recently took both of my hounds for adjustments. :yay

I also take both puppers for acupuncture, but the chiropractic really did the trick. Holly was walking with her head and neck not-quite-right. Chiropractor said a few cervical disks were out and, therefore, muscles were super tight. She adjusted Holly, and man, what a difference! Taking Holly back for a second adjustment on Thursday.

When I took Indy to a neurologist, all he could only offer was surgery or heavy-duty drugs. I think a combination of acupuncture, chiropractic, and supplements works wonders!

I would seriously encourage you to look for a chiropractor if your vet isn't trained to offer the chiropractic works! Well worth the time and effort. :)

I'm pretty sure my vet does chiropractic too. It's something I'd definitely consider if and when we have any evidence that what we've done so far hasn't fixed things -- I see a chiropractor myself regularly, so I'm well aware of how much it helps.

Edited by PrairieProf

Sounds like Beth is feeling a lot better. You have a terrific vet that seems to be able to handle all types of situations and treatments. Lots of good wishes that your girl continues to be on the mend.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy