Memphis Cut His Paw Pad

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well it looks more like a rug burn, if that makes any sense?

It occasionally bleeds so I've been rinsing it with betadine and putting wounded warrior and antibiotic cream on it.

Should I try to cover it or leave it uncovered? Of course I can't find the boots I have, but I don't know if it is something that I need to do....

I want to provide some kind of comfort and barrier, but maybe it's just better to leave it alone?

For feet, I like to wrap. It tends to keep the foot from spreading out and the cut breaking open again. Just a light wrap -- nonstick gauze pad with a little antibiotic ointment on it over the cut, and then a couple turns of vetwrap.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Memphis is a total love. I'm feeling a little jealous though, as he seems to want to hang out with Roy more this time :lol:blush

I felt around and couldn't feel anything in the pad, so I think he just braked hard and rubbed some off maybe?

He's very good about letting me handle it even though I know it must hurt.

Guest KennelMom

If it's a pad burn on the bottom, I don't do anything but keep an eye on it and make sure it stays clean and dry. If it's a cut that goes up the side of the pad I'll wrap to give it a little bit more support while it's healing. Just make sure the wound doesn't stay too wet/moist.