Cavoc's Ear Infections Aren't Clearing Up So....

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Cavoc, my newly adopted GSD, has severe ear infections and growths in his ears. I knew this when adopting him and it was part of the reason that I did adopt him. His ears were cleaned (under sedation) right before I adopted him. He has a bacterial infection along with a yeast infection in both ears. I have had him for about a month and he has been on Rimadyl, Clavamox, Otomax and Baytril ointment and he is still shaking his head, pawing at his ears and crying.

At my vet's suggestion, I am taking Cavoc to see a surgeon tomorrow to see if there is any type of surgery that can be done to alleviate his ear problems. My vet had mentioned one in particular where they are able to reconstruct part of the ear canal so that there is better air circulation and the meds reach the right part of the ear canal. I really hope that Dr Thompson can do something for Cavoc......this poor dog really deserves a chance to no long be in pain.

Please send some good thoughts.

Guest sorenkkg

Wow.

We adopted Haka in Sept 2005 and in Nov, we finally figured out he had an ear infection-- no where near as bad as what you describe, but since he didn't show any signs until it was really bad, it got REALLY bad, you know?

We had to have him on Prednisone for a few days before we could begin any other treatment... he got a few more until we a) changed his food a lot and finally found some that works and B) we got him on a "maintenance" of a sort of acidic solution, Burrow's Solution-- which was recently switched to a malacetic solution we get at the vet.

I hope your sweet boy gets some relief-- I had a lot of ear infections as a kid (we did tubes in the ear-drums, I was losing my hearing) and I feel a LOT of empathy for these guys.

:grouphug to you and Cavoc!

Soren

Edited by sorenkkg

I think you're talking about an aural resection. I've seen them done on spaniels and other breeds with large, floppy, hairy ears, and they always worked near miracles. Has Cavoc got really narrow ear canals?

What they do is take out a kind of 'vee' shaped piece at the side of the ear canal opposite the flap and pull it forward/downwards and stitch it back in place to make the ear canal wider and more open. I would think this would make it easier to get to any growths in the ear too, should it be necessary.

At least, that's what they did *mumblemumble* years ago! :lol

Good luck at the surgeon!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest houndlover
I think you're talking about an aural resection. I've seen them done on spaniels and other breeds with large, floppy, hairy ears, and they always worked near miracles. Has Cavoc got really narrow ear canals?

What they do is take out a kind of 'vee' shaped piece at the side of the ear canal opposite the flap and pull it forward/downwards and stitch it back in place to make the ear canal wider and more open. I would think this would make it easier to get to any growths in the ear too, should it be necessary.

At least, that's what they did *mumblemumble* years ago! :lol

Good luck at the surgeon!

Yes, I believe that is the surgery that my vet was talking about. Cavoc has so many growths on the inside of his ear that it is hard to even see the ear canal so I'm not sure if it is a narrow opening or not. I am pretty sure that they will have to sedate him today to examine him and when they do I want them to clean his ears again. I am glad to hear that this type of surgery works so well. I think that my only other option is an abilation (sp) and although his hearing isn't great (due to chronic ear infections), I know that this type of surgery would make him deaf and I really don't want to do that.

Does anyone have suggesting for getting the drops in his ears? He is so snappy and mouthy when I go to put something in his ears that I can't even keep his mouth shut long enough to put a muzzle on him. My vet gave me tranquilizers but I really hate to do that to him.

My poodle had cronic ear infections when he was a pup and did have some kind of pretty expensive surgery for it, can't remember exactly what it was (was about 9 years ago). He did well and he can still hear and has not had a single ear infection since. :)

Guest houndlover

I left Cavoc at the vet so they could sedate him, clean his ears and examine him. The vet just called and said that both ear canals are very, very badly scarred and ulcerated. He said that the ulcers bled very easily and that it is causing a lot of pain for Cavoc. He also said that with the type of bacteria that Cavoc has in his ears (Pseudomonas) the prognosis for a full recovery and never having ear problems is not good. Apparently,this type of bacteria is more resistant to common antibiotics. He said that he did not think that the vertical or horizontal ear canal reconstructive surgery would be effective in Cavoc's case and suggested that I think about bilateral total ear canal ablation surgery. I am not ready to jump into this type of surgery b/c it will leave Cavoc deaf....although he would be pain free. The vet suggested that we try the following and that I go back in a few weeks for a recheck:

change his diet to limited ingredient

put him on tramadol and baytril oral antibiotics

keep him on rimadyl

put him on benadryl (the vet suggested pred but I wanted to try the antihistamine first)

I'm not even sure how to take this news....how do you make the decision to have your dog be deaf for the rest of his life?

Oh, poor Cavoc! :(

I think I would get a second opinion before making a decision, but it would be worth trying the diet option. It's amazing how much making the adjustments can help environments like skin folds and ear canals.

Good luck with him. I would say though, that if there really is no alternative, it would be better to have the ablation done and leave him pain-free. It would be a bit like choosing amputation over chronic pain from a bad break - something Sid's previous owner had to do on his behalf. Now he only has three legs, but he's a happy dog. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

This would be a hard decision. I think, like you, I would try most everything first before surgery that would leave him deaf. I would also start to use hand signals in combination with words so he may learn what the hand gestires mean if you need to do the more radical surgery. I know there are deaf dogs that get along great, I do wish you the very best and continue to hope all will be well. :bighug

Guest houndlover
Oh, poor Cavoc! :(

I think I would get a second opinion before making a decision, but it would be worth trying the diet option. It's amazing how much making the adjustments can help environments like skin folds and ear canals.

Good luck with him. I would say though, that if there really is no alternative, it would be better to have the ablation done and leave him pain-free. It would be a bit like choosing amputation over chronic pain from a bad break - something Sid's previous owner had to do on his behalf. Now he only has three legs, but he's a happy dog. :)

Dr T was my second opinion. The first vet that looked at him (when he was still in the shelter) said that they recommend the ablation also. Dr T doesn't expect me to jump right into it though....he wants me to try a few other things first and see how it goes. I suppose I could always get a 3rd opinion if I needed to though.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...this is not going to be an easy decision. :(

I would try the sugestions he gave you. But if all elce fails it will be a hard decision but I know I would rather loose my hearing than be inthe kind of pain you boy is for the rest of his life. Hugs to you and your boy and will keep you in my prayers and hope the changes work

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Poor guy! :(

put him on benadryl (the vet suggested pred but I wanted to try the antihistamine first)

I assume it would be short term and I would have opted for pred which reduces inflammation (but you cannot give rimadyl and pred together). Assume you had follow up blood work if you are keeping him on rimadyl?

This would be a very hard choice. Have you tried EVO or raw for him? If the diet doesn't do anything for him, I'd have to go with deaf as hard as that is than keep him in pain. I think.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I'd for sure try the diet etc. I agree with Diane, a raw diet might be ideal. Having had a lot of ear infections as an adult, they HURT very badly, so if you can't control it with diet and drugs, I'd for sure have to consider the surgery. Dogs adapt well to things like deafness and blindness, and you'd have time to work with him on hand signals before the surgery. So I wouldn't completely rule it out, but would keep it on the back burner as a last option senario.

Guest Greensleeves
I assume it would be short term and I would have opted for pred which reduces inflammation (but you cannot give rimadyl and pred together).

You might ask your vet/s about Temaril-P, which is a very effective antihistamine plus a small amount of prednisone. In our experience, it works particularly well at calming ear problems, so it might be worth a try as part of your regimen.

Guest Greytluv

You might want to try a holistic vet. If you can't clear it up I'm not sure you have much choice but do surgery. I sure would try and control it without surgery