Need Some Help Please

Guest IndysDad

Guest IndysDad

Well, Merlin has been gaining weight on 2 cups a day of dry food, has a dry coat and nose, sheds a lot...

I took him to our vet and had a thyroid panel done by Michigan State Univ. to find out what's going on..

the results are:

RR = Reference range and Units are the amonts measured by volume..

Total Thyroxine (TT4) = 12 L RR = [15-67], Units=nmol/L

Total Triiodothyronine (TT3) = 0.9 L RR = [1.0-2.5], Units=nmol/L

Free Thyroxine (FT4) = 7 L, RR = [18-26], Units= pmol/L

Free Triiodothyronine (FT3)= 3.5 L RR = [4.5-12.0], Units = pmol/L

T4 Autoantibody = 13 RR = [0-20], Units= %

T3 Autoantibody = 10 RR = [0-10, Units= %

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) = 16 RR = [0-37] Units = mU/L

Thyroglobulin Autoantibody * = 3 RR = [0-35] Units= %

Endorcrinology comment; 7/13/2009 @ 2:00:00 PM

<20% Negative

20-35% Inconclusive

>35% Positive

The tests were submitted with his breed being shown as a Greyhound, Male, Neutered...

And I'm guessing the L shown after some results indictes a low reading/value.

Our vets recommended a treatment of L-THYROXINE 1.0 (it's in tablet form) i pill twice daily...

My question is, does it appear I have a "thyroid dog" or is he just fat and lazy and needs more excersize?

It's not that I don't trust my vets, but after the fiasco with my Bridge boy Indy, I prefer to go by the old and always good adage of "Trust, but verify". IYKNWIM?

Thanks for your input and advise!! :colgate

Edited by IndysDad

Guest kydie

I agree with above post! Thyroid issues can go both ways, under active weight gain, over active: thin either one is an issue, poor pup, he isn't fat and lazy, I bet his is a beauty!

Guest IndysDad
Our vets recommended a treatment of L-THYROXINE 1.0

Way too high to start and I would use the brand soloxine. Usual start dose is .5 twice a day.

What did Michigan State say in their interpretation.

From the paper work returned from MSU....

"7/13/2009 2:00:00 PM xEndo No Interp:

This submission was made without a request for a written interpretation.If the submitting veterinarian would like a written interpretation of these results, please contact the laboratory via the telephone or fax numbers listed above. Please refer to the encounter number at the top of this report. Thank you for using the services of this laboratory."

It appears our guys didn't request an interpretation...I wonder if I could request one and get an answer?

ETA: it appears l-thyroxine or levothyroxine is the generic Soloxine...

Edited by IndysDad

:nod I don't know why not your paid for it!

I think there's an extra $4 fee or something for a written interp, but it's done by a veterinary endocrinologist who is supposedly familiar with sighthound values. Worth it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest IndysDad
ETA: it appears l-thyroxine or levothyroxine is the generic Soloxine

Yes it is and it does not work as well as the brand Soloxine in dobes or greys.

If you do have to supplement, Omaha Vaccine has a very good price on Soloxine :)

Thanks! I'll check with Omaha Vaccine and see what I need to do....

And is it worth a try to get an interpretation from MSU?

Get the interpretation from MSU.

TSH is well within range, and the other numbers aren't bad for a greyhound. The AA numbers suggest that something may indeed be going on with the thyroid, but some of those things take years to develop to the point where supplementation is warranted. I wouldn't supplement unless MSU suggests it.

BTW, dog *should* put out some TSH. IIRC it's pretty weird if that number is 0.

Here is MSU's FAQ, which may answer some of your questions: http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Sections/E...d_Canine.php#06

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would ask for it, or I would ask my vet to request it for me. I would definately get one though.

I am one who uses the generic for my dog and myself. It works for us. Also to save money, I ask for the .8 tab and split it because his dose is .4 twice a day. It is nicely scored and I snap it with my thumbs with no problem.

With the 1.0 recommended by your vets, since most of us give it twice a day, I am wondering if that is 1/2 of a 1.0 tab in the a.m. and the other half in the evening? That makes .5 twice a day, right?

Hugs to Merlin :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest IndysDad
I would ask for it, or I would ask my vet to request it for me. I would definately get one though.

I am one who uses the generic for my dog and myself. It works for us. Also to save money, I ask for the .8 tab and split it because his dose is .4 twice a day. It is nicely scored and I snap it with my thumbs with no problem.

With the 1.0 recommended by your vets, since most of us give it twice a day, I am wondering if that is 1/2 of a 1.0 tab in the a.m. and the other half in the evening? That makes .5 twice a day, right?

Hugs to Merlin :)

Thanks, he would always like more hugs..he's a " I need a hug" type of guy and appreciates all he can get :)

His last wiegh-in was 100.4 lbs :o:eek !!. up from 88 lbs last fall; possibly that's why the vet prescribed the 1.0 mg tab twice a day...(?)...hopefully, when I get some weight off of him, we can reduce the dosage of his meds....

I remember that once we got Red regulated, his dosage tapered off, but we started with .5 2Xs a day and went up. He worked up to .8 2Xs a day, leveled off for awhile, and then he needed it decreased. When he turned 8 they began using a different range, so we lowered again. He's been steady at .4 2Xs a day for almost two years now. We never changed his dosage without test results. I didn't want people to think we did this willy-nilly :lol

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I've found with the generic, you do need a higher dose. Unless my dog was half dead, I would not use 1.0 twice a day and even then I'd have to think about it :rolleyes:

With the ones I've had to have on thyroid meds, I've never had to go over .5 twice a day. It takes a minimum of 6 weeks to see results and be stable enough to retest. I usually wait 3 months for the first test if the dogs are acting ok and responding appropriately.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits