Tag Clip Through Pad - Vet Or Treat At Home?

So we took Opie for his Sunday morning get together with other greyhounds. When we got to the park, he was playing with one of the other dogs he knows very well. All of a sudden we heard the GSOD and Opie's leg appeared caught in the other dog's collar. With visions of his leg snapping I ran over to corral him, and of course the 2 dogs were snarling and snapping trying to get apart from each other (thank goodness muzzles were on). I grabbed Opie, someone else grabbed the other dog, and we saw that his foot was actually stuck on the clip that holds the tags on the tag collar - one of the smaller of those mountain climbing type of clips, not sure what you call them - AND the end of the clip was actually poking through the end of one of the pads on his foot!! My DH carefully pulled it out. It was bleeding, but not bad. I had some first aid stuff with me, and someone else ran to their car and got some wrapping tape to wrap it up with. We rinsed it off, used the antiseptic cleaner, and then wrapped it up. Amazingly, he didnt seem to be that bothered by it then, just after we wrapped it, as he didn't like that wrap thing on his leg.

SOOOO, now we are home, and am wondering is this something that will heal on its own? We do have EMT gel and spray. I am about to take off the wrapping, clean again and use that, and rewrap. Does this need a trip to the vet tomorrow, EVet today, or just treatment from us???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest kydie

For me if I can control the bleeding and care for it at home, I do, I didn't run my kids to the doc, or E.R, everytime they had a bobo, cleanse, monitor, and see how it looks tomarow, just me here, Good Luck

For me if I can control the bleeding and care for it at home, I do, I didn't run my kids to the doc, or E.R, everytime they had a bobo, cleanse, monitor, and see how it looks tomarow, just me here, Good Luck

I agree. Especially on the foot. There is not much they can do for the pads. Cosmo had a huge hole in the foot. Took him to the vet. Wasted time and money.

I used neosporin and the paper tape that you get a walmart or such. Taped the sock on and he did wonderful. Tha paper tape sticks to the hair, yet does not stick when taking off. GREAT STUFF!!

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Guest Energy11

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

The Above from our first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. I would just keep doing what you are doing, and maybe get some toddler sox for the foot. YOU DO have to be aware of INFECTION... redness, swelling, pus, etc. ... Maybe your vet would prescribe Keflex, 500 mg??? Other than that, nothing else to add. Talk about FREAK injuries, huh! Good Luck! D

Guest RocketDog

If it were me, I'd treat at home. But I have experience working as a vet tech, and I'm pretty comfortable dealing with the various scrapes, skinned hocks, cuts and bruises my hounds get on a regular basis. If you can stop the bleeding and the wound looks clean, I'd say keeping it clean, dry and wrapped up for a few days should be all he needs. The small wounds mine get on their feet usually heal up quickly and with minimal fuss other than bandage changes.

Thank you all so much for your quick replies - we were leaning towards treating ourselves. But I'm sure everyone here knows the panic of seeing their baby get hurt! I have the paper wrap tape here, and ointments. I will run out now and get some toddler socks at Walmart. Thanks so much, I'll try and get picture of it later when we change the bandaid. Poor baby, he is on the couch now, holding out the injured paw, with the "I'M INJURED" look!!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

When Opie's up to it, why don't you bring him over to hang out with us. Our yard is nice and shady after dinner and not so big that he could get in any trouble! :) PM me for directions, etc.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greygirls2

He looks just like my JJ....those black boys are such babies whenthey get a booboo. I agree....Dairy Queen it is, that always helps! :colgate Hope he's feeling better soon.

Well, Opie seems to be doing better. We have been soaking the foot twice a day, and then neosporin. He wears a sock for walkees (no fenced yard, so we leash walk), and he wants to walk, and is doing zoomies around the house with his stuffies.

We can still see the hole, of course, but the pad is hardly swollen at all. I have been holding my breath to see if an infection was going to manifest, but so far so good. I will keep doing what I am doing, as it seems to be helping. Thanks again for all the advice. :colgate