Limping With Bruising

Wally was running at the cottage on Tuesday last week when he suddenly let out a scream, and began to limp quite noticeably on his right hind leg. I checked his leg over and didn't see anything. Over that day the limp became less severe and he only limped on and off. I figured it was a pulled muscle or something like and just tried to keep him a bit less active then he usual is. He hasn't limped for several days now but he has been having a lot of trouble to actually get up once he is lying down. He struggles to get on his feet but once up he seems fine.

The odd thing is today (5 days later) I just noticed a huge dark red bruise has developed on the inside of the leg that pretty much goes from the upper thigh to the hock. I'm not that familiar with pulled muscles but is it common to have bruising like that? Do you think this is worthy of a vet visit or should I just continue to rest his leg?

Here is a picture of the bruising. Sorry about the picture quality.

Summer2009398.jpg

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Guest paulamariez

Bueller got banged around in the car one day when we had to make a quick stop. A couple days later, he got some purple bruising on his side. I watched it and made sure it didn't get worse (it did not). But the next time I was at the vet, I mentioned it to her and she said that means that his platelets were too low. She said if it ever happened again, that we should contact her immediately. The vet proceeded to check Bueller's platelets and sure enough, they were low. His were down due to a severe gum infection that he had at the time. After multiple teeth cleaning and a couple rounds of antibiotics, his platelets went back up. If it were me, I would definitely contact your vet. It may be nothing, but after what my vet told me, I would want to be sure, because low platelets can turn devastating very fast, according to my vet. Sending healing prayers to your sweet Wally! Doggie kisses from Tiger, Bueller and Domino too.

Sprains/strains can cause deep bruising--that doesn't show up for a while--in people, so I guess it could happen in dogs too.

I'd continue to rest him until he's not having trouble getting up.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Energy11

Most probably, bruising under the skin. Might want to get it looked at, based on the brusing and with the limping as well ... good luck!

Guest Energy11

Doesn't look too good ... I'd get a vet's opinion, if it were one of mine ... Good Luck! Just hate when these things happen!

Okay, if you stand him up and look at him from behind, is that muscle misshapen in any way, like part of it is drooping down? The reason I ask is because a dropped muscle will bruise like that. Valentino has a dropped muscle, not a bad one but if you stand behind him and look at his thighs one has a little lump slightly lower than the other leg. That is a dropped muscle. The bruising will go away with time but the muscle will always be that way. Some can be so bad as to be career enders and some not. Valentino's ended his career in racing.

edited to add: if the leg looks normal, I'd think he probably pulled that muscle pretty badly. You might want to take him in and make sure it's not something more serious. If the bruising lightens up by tomorrow, he's probably on the mend. If it spreads or gets worse I'd definitely take him in.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Wink looked exactly like that last week. Pulled/strained muscle. Try and keep your pup quite for a few days. Anti inflamatories will work well too. Wink is fully recovered ... took about 4 or 5 days of rest.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Looks to me like he injured his Gracillis muscle. Not too much you can do except rest and perhaps NSAIDs. I just went though this with one of mine. She tore the same muscle running in the FunRun at the Expo this year. It did heal but, now has nodules under skin were the scar tissue formed (at least that's what I hope it is--going to see Dr Radcliff to confirm). Keep an eye on it--usually torn muscles, surprisingly are not that painful.