Tarter Control

Guest isntitgreyt

Guest isntitgreyt

My girls teeth are getting bad!! Does anybody know where I can get a scaler for their teeth?

Also, what toothpaste do you use? I bought some but they are not fond of getting their teeth brushed!!

Any advice is appreciated!!!

A lot of pet supply places sell scalers. The best thing I've found to keep my dogs teeth clean are raw meaty bones. Mine get marrow bones. A lot of people will give knuckle bones, turkey necks and the like.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Foster's & Smith sell doggie dental scalers. I'd be afraid to scale my girl's teeth! :eek

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest kydie

Yep, Foster and Smith for dental stuff, I use a tarter control toothpast from them on my old girl, and a sonic toothbrush on all 4 mine other 3 love the poltury flavor, teeth brushing is just a matter of repetition, some may not ever like it but they learn to tolerate it CET chews are another thing I use Good Luck

Guest eaglflyt

I use Petzlife Oral Gel that I purchase from Revival Animal Health. Petzlife Oral Gel really works, even on teeth that already have lots of tartar build up. Our 4 dachshunds now have sparkling mouths (and in less than 30 days). I have no connection with this company or product, just a thrilled customer! You can also order a scaler from Revival HERE.

There's more info. on Petzlife Oral Gel HERE and HERE.

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest isntitgreyt
I use Petzlife Oral Gel that I purchase from Revival Animal Health. Petzlife Oral Gel really works, even on teeth that already have lots of tartar build up. Our 4 dachshunds now have sparkling mouths (and in less than 30 days). I have no connection with this company or product, just a thrilled customer! You can also order a scaler from Revival HERE.

Do you use every product or just the gel? How does the gel work. I'm definetly interested in trying this!!! I used to scale teeth when my rescue had a kennel so I know it helps but I need something to follow up with that!! The before and after pics are amazing!!

Guest eaglflyt

Do you use every product or just the gel? How does the gel work. I'm definetly interested in trying this!!! I used to scale teeth when my rescue had a kennel so I know it helps but I need something to follow up with that!! The before and after pics are amazing!!

We use just the gel with a toothbrush. We started out using it daily, but the directions say once they have sparkly teeth, just use it for maintenance as necessary ... for us is now about 3 X per week. We also use it for our cats, but we just put a dab on our finger and place it on under their lips. If your dog is picky, you might want to get the salmon flavored gel. Ours like the regular favor just fine.

We started researching since our elderly Aussie, Jake, and our matriarch dachshund, Ellie, were too old to safely have anesthesia for dentals. Regular poultry toothpaste seemed to make no difference. Our vet suggested LebaIII, but at $65 for a tiny spray bottle of essentially grain alcohol and water, we were hesitant. I did a lot of looking and researching and found this product and thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Well, all I can say is that I was totally amazed at the results! Our elderly Aussie now has a totally sparkling smile and healthy gums, as does our elderly Dachsie. We were just at the vet this week with Ady Bea, our greyt girl, and he commented that she had the best greyhound mouth he'd seen! So, we're sold!!!

Also, the gel comes with directions on how much to use based on your animal's weight. I found the best price for the larger bottle at Revival, but they sell the smaller bottles at full price at all our local Petsmarts. We started out with one of the little bottles from Petsmart, but it worked so well, I went online searching for the best price for the larger bottle size.

Good Luck!

Shelly in OK

Guest Energy11

I got a great scaler at Fosters and Smith... got rid of almost ALL the tarter on Oakly's molars :-)) I use C.E.T toothpaste DAILY, as well as Chlorhexadine rinse, AND a water additive. Good Luck

Guest eaglflyt

Oh, we also use one of the canine toothbrushes that has bristles coming in from both sides of the tooth similar to this one. We picked it up at Petsmart.

Also, if your dog isn't accustomed to having their teeth brushed, there's a great video on how to start by clicking to see the video at the above link at the Dr. Foster & Smith site.

I truly wish I had taken pictures of our dogs mouths when we began so I could post them compared to their sparkly whites now!

Guest MnMDogs

Mork has always had horrible teeth even with frequent brushing. Over the past few months, we've been supplementing their kibble with raw foods (every other night). They get either a turkey neck or chicken quarter.

In just that short period of time, the improvement in his teeth is amazing, and he doesn't even need a dental this year! Last year at this time, the vet was able to save 3 of his big teeth (thank goodness), and she said they look really good even now.

Honestly, I've been brushing that boy's teeth for almost 5 years, and it can't compare to what 3 months of occasional raw feedings has done.

Is that an option for you? I just know that he would never let me scale his teeth!

Guest KennelMom

Just get some raw bones and let nature take care of things.

Stay away from scalers...leave them to the professionals to use. You can damage the enamel on the teeth and make the problem worse.

Guest isntitgreyt
Mork has always had horrible teeth even with frequent brushing. Over the past few months, we've been supplementing their kibble with raw foods (every other night). They get either a turkey neck or chicken quarter.

In just that short period of time, the improvement in his teeth is amazing, and he doesn't even need a dental this year! Last year at this time, the vet was able to save 3 of his big teeth (thank goodness), and she said they look really good even now.

Honestly, I've been brushing that boy's teeth for almost 5 years, and it can't compare to what 3 months of occasional raw feedings has done.

Is that an option for you? I just know that he would never let me scale his teeth!

I don't mean to sound dumb but what exactly is raw feeding? I've seen things posted but usually it just says how good it is not what it is!

I use a battery operated toothbrush with the poultry toothpaste. I think I want to try the petzlife stuff. That sounds really good. I also rub her gums with biotene (humans use it) It is safe for dogs. It cleans the gums well and gives them fresh breath..lol

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

We use MaxiGuard Oral gel from the vet - we do use a toothbrush, but apparently you don't have to. It's not Ziggy's favorite thing - but it works wonders on his tartar build-up. Even the vet was impressed - b/c his teeth have always been "bad". Honestly, we brush with the gel maybe 3xweek and the gel lasts longer if kept in the fridge. :D

Guest eaglflyt

I don't mean to sound dumb but what exactly is raw feeding? I've seen things posted but usually it just says how good it is not what it is!

You can read more about raw feeding HERE. Many successfully feed their dogs raw diets. However, in our household there's a couple of reasons we don't currently. 1) Immune suppressed family member 2) Ady Bea has almost completed her classes to take her TDI Therapy Dog Certification class. It is recommended that Therapy or assistance dogs *not* be fed a raw diet due to possibility of shedding bacteria that can be infectious or dangerous to young, elderly, or those that are ill.

Our dogs, besides getting their teeth brushed with Petzlife Oral Gel get occasional CET Hextra Premium Chews and enjoy chomping on their Nylabone chew toys.

One of my friends told me about Petzlife Gel. I bought some last night and OMG. This stuff is great. I seen results in one use. Ali has a bad issue with tartar build up. Her teeth looked better by morning. Sierra is due for a dental, but I am going to see how this stuff works on cleaning up the teeth. I wipe the tartar off with a gauze pad.

Good stuff, finally something that works and its not a waste of money.

I just went out and bought some of the Petzlife Gel - Drake's teeth are pretty darn good, but Kaylee's (what's left of them) are a crying shame. They didn't seem to enjoy it when I put it on them just a few minutes ago - but hopefully it will help!

One of my friends told me about Petzlife Gel. I bought some last night and OMG. This stuff is great. I seen results in one use. Ali has a bad issue with tartar build up. Her teeth looked better by morning. Sierra is due for a dental, but I am going to see how this stuff works on cleaning up the teeth. I wipe the tartar off with a gauze pad.

Good stuff, finally something that works and its not a waste of money.

Guest Meirowitz
A lot of pet supply places sell scalers. The best thing I've found to keep my dogs teeth clean are raw meaty bones. Mine get marrow bones. A lot of people will give knuckle bones, turkey necks and the like.

I'll second that! :colgate Nothing like raw, meaty bones to clean a dog's teeth, and they love it. Try chicken, duck or turkey necks, or a nice pork shoulder with the meat removed, or a marrow bone (a word of caution here, because marrow bones are very hard and have been known to break a dog's teeth). In my view, this is a better way to go than trying to brush their teeth.

Guest gomiesmom

I bought a flat head type scaler from Drs Foster & Smith website. I like it, as both ends are sort of flat, not like the really pointy ends of a traditional one.

Guest isntitgreyt

I'll second that! :colgate Nothing like raw, meaty bones to clean a dog's teeth, and they love it. Try chicken, duck or turkey necks, or a nice pork shoulder with the meat removed, or a marrow bone (a word of caution here, because marrow bones are very hard and have been known to break a dog's teeth). In my view, this is a better way to go than trying to brush their teeth.

Where do you get chicken, duck or turkey necks from?

Guest dmboynt

I call the meat department manager of my local Stop & Shop. He orders the necks as I need them. It usually only takes a few days to get them in.

Not all WalMarts will, but the nearest WalMart to me carries turkey necks; the store has a customer base with a high percentage of Hispanic shoppers.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)