Putting Weight On

Since we found out about Butkus' tumor, we changed his diet to partially grain-free, partially raw. In the mornings, he gets almost 2 cups of Orijen 5-fish kibble and a cup of plain yogurt. In the evenings he gets 6 raw chicken wings, a handful of greens (spinach, romaine, kale, whatever's on hand), a handful of soybeans, handful of blueberries, a cut up tomato, and a good pinch of broccoli sprouts.

The issue is that he's looking a little thin. Is there anything we can add to his diet that would be beneficial for cancer/tumor treatment and that would also help put weight on?

I read that cottage cheese mixed with flax oil is good for cancer patients.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Energy11

Only thing I can think of are high quality treats. MANY grain free. I get all of my dog food from Petfood Direct.com ... Good luck!

Guest KennelMom

Dogs can't really digest veggie matter...esp if it's being given whole. You would really need to pulp it iin a food processor and/or freeze it or cook it before feeding it to help break down the cell walls so the nutrients become bio-available. It's a lot of work for something that's not a necessary part of a diet for dogs. We do feed a small bit of veggie mash to our dogs and they enjoy eating it, but it's not something that's a large part of their diet.

A cup of yogurt is a LOT! If he does well on it, then I guess there's no harm that I know of.

Add muscle meat to his meals, like ground beef, chicken and/or turkey. Instead of chicken wings, which are quite small and provide little dental benefit for most large dogs, you can switch to leg quarters which have more meat on them. Things like that.

Dogs can't really digest veggie matter...esp if it's being given whole. You would really need to pulp it iin a food processor and/or freeze it or cook it before feeding it to help break down the cell walls so the nutrients become bio-available. It's a lot of work for something that's not a necessary part of a diet for dogs. We do feed a small bit of veggie mash to our dogs and they enjoy eating it, but it's not something that's a large part of their diet.

A cup of yogurt is a LOT! If he does well on it, then I guess there's no harm that I know of.

Add muscle meat to his meals, like ground beef, chicken and/or turkey. Instead of chicken wings, which are quite small and provide little dental benefit for most large dogs, you can switch to leg quarters which have more meat on them. Things like that.

He LOVES the yogurt, and his poos seem to be healthy, so hopefully I'm not doing him any damage with it!

This is all really good advice...so theoretically, if at the beginning of the week I sautee up a bunch of fattier hamburger along with the handfuls of veggies (I'd like to keep at least a bit of veggie b/c I know the contain different cancer-fighting antioxidants) and then scoop him out a cup or two every night, along with switching to chicken legs, we should be doing right by him? And maybe adding a bit of cottage cheese in the mix?

ETA: I DO need to stop and pick up some grain free treats for him...I feel so guilty when everyone gets a treat, and all I have to give him is a couple bits of kibble....

Edited by giadog

He LOVES the yogurt, and his poos seem to be healthy, so hopefully I'm not doing him any damage with it!

This is all really good advice...so theoretically, if at the beginning of the week I sautee up a bunch of fattier hamburger along with the handfuls of veggies (I'd like to keep at least a bit of veggie b/c I know the contain different cancer-fighting antioxidants) and then scoop him out a cup or two every night, along with switching to chicken legs, we should be doing right by him? And maybe adding a bit of cottage cheese in the mix?

ETA: I DO need to stop and pick up some grain free treats for him...I feel so guilty when everyone gets a treat, and all I have to give him is a couple bits of kibble....

Make some sweet potato chips for him as treats - they only take about 30 minutes to make from start to finish.

Make some sweet potato chips for him as treats - they only take about 30 minutes to make from start to finish.

If I make sweet potato chips, I'll have a hard time not eating them all myself!!! But I thought those were very LOW calorie...(If not, maybe I shouldn't be eating them as often as I do!!!)

Guest Energy11

If he were my baby, INDEED, I'd get some grain free treats for him! :-)) P.s. WE LOVE yogert here, too, and add it to our food daily!

Guest KennelMom
Dogs can't really digest veggie matter...esp if it's being given whole. You would really need to pulp it in a food processor and/or freeze it or cook it before feeding it to help break down the cell walls so the nutrients become bio-available. It's a lot of work for something that's not a necessary part of a diet for dogs. We do feed a small bit of veggie mash to our dogs and they enjoy eating it, but it's not something that's a large part of their diet.

We do all meat raw here...but if you wanted to cook the meat that's OK. You'll lose some of the fat that way, so I don't think it's necessary. I make up veggie mash once a week for the entire week...or I'll do a really big batch so it can be frozen and thawed as necessary. Cooking robs veggies of some nutrients as well, so I'd opt for raw. Not a huge deal at the end of the day b/c, as I mentioned earlier, veggies are really just an extra. Not a ton of calories there anyway.

You might want to pick up some freeze dried liver treats at petsmart (or I reckon' you could make your own if you wanted). Those would be good grain free treats and our dogs will do just about anythign for a bit of freeze dried liver.

I think what you posted sounds OK as a supplement to the commercial food you are feeding. Just make adjustments by his weight and poop.

Guest kydie

I too would ditch to wings, go to chicken quarters leaving the skin on, I feed freeze dried liver treats to my pup that has grain issues, Good Luck

Search for Satin balls--I've heard great things about them and I'm sure you'll find a recipe for them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.