Cactus Injury?

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

My foster girl Flame is VERY toy-motivated. She looooves squeaky toys! :) Well tonight she was wandering around my room stealing all the toys and bringing them to her crate. I was making the bed when all of a sudden I see her streak past me and cower in the crate. I heard a crashing sound, I figured something fell over and scared her. I found one of my cactuses on the floor.

cactus.jpg

I think she grabbed for it because it is fuzzy, she probably thought it was a toy. I don't know if she had it in her mouth or not as I didn't see it, but it didn't fall by itself. I checked her face and gums and I don't see any cactus spines, but some of my cactus plants have these little clear spines that are practically invisible (I've had them in my fingers, ouch!).

She didn't do the GSOD so hopefully they didn't prick her? Should I look in her mouth with a flashlight or something? She already has a wound on her leg from tripping while jumping onto my deck (she decided to skip the stairs altogether :rolleyes:) and I'll feel horrible if she's injured again. :blush This girl is accident-prone!

Any signs I should watch for that I missed a spine? I've never had this problem before... :huh

~Lindsay~

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'd look in her mouth if she'll let you. Also, if she's reluctant to eat/chew, I'd assume she got some in her mouth :(

We use duct tape to get them out when we get them so I have no idea how you'd be able to get them out of her mouth.... may be worth a call to a vet to see what they have to say about it.

Poor baby girl.

Guest RocketDog

If she'll let you look in her mouth, could you maybe try running a finger along her gums/lips to see if you can feel anything 'grabby' like the spines? I know I have to do this when I bop myself on a cactus or I can never find all the spines... good luck, poor girlie!

I would check with a vet because those little spines can cause scar tissue, and around the mouth and tongue I imagine will hurt and itch and get irritated. (I know this because for years I had teeny bits of scar tissue in one of my finger tips because I insisted that I had to have a prickly pear cactus as a souvenir from my first trip to Florida.)

I know it's not the same thing, but a couple of years ago someone who used to be on GT lost a pup to porcupine quills in the throat. Obviously, the cactus spines are much smaller, but I'd hate to see them lodged anywhere for any length of time. The duct tape sounds like a good idea, but I'd check w the vet first.

Poor baby. You might also want to ask the vet about Benedryl for swelling/itching and it will also help Flame sleep through the ordeal. I'd also ask for antibiotics, as the cactus bits will certainly cause some irritation that might get infected.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Also, check out her feet--or at least watch for some sign they might be bothering her. Maybe she just batted the cactus with her paw?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That species doesn't have glochids, the REALLY noxious barbed hooks that opuntias threaten to overrun the world with. You might find a larger spine somewhere, but it's a lot better than a mouthful of glochids.

Back in the days before fiberglass, glochids were harvested for making itching powder. Best way to remove: Elmer's glue, duct tape, or a razor.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Spencers_Greyt
That species doesn't have glochids, the REALLY noxious barbed hooks that opuntias threaten to overrun the world with. You might find a larger spine somewhere, but it's a lot better than a mouthful of glochids.

Back in the days before fiberglass, glochids were harvested for making itching powder. Best way to remove: Elmer's glue, duct tape, or a razor.

I believe Jumping Cholla are in this category. I got "spined" in my left hand by one at work and to this day I still have red bumps all over my hand from all the little hooks left behind!

I believe Jumping Cholla are in this category. I got "spined" in my left hand by one at work and to this day I still have red bumps all over my hand from all the little hooks left behind!

Yeah; "jumping" cholla is Opuntia bigelovii, and along with O. fulgida, they've probably caused more heartbreak than any other single form of cactus. Very nasty. People think I'm a fruit loop for never wearing shorts in the desert; on top of being so white that I can be used as an ANSI standard, I don't care to get unduly perforated. I wore my heavy jumpsuit on cave rescue practice in New Mexico, and when the instructors suggested I go with something lighter "because of the heat," I told them I was from Phoenix, and I lived in New Mexico for 6 years. Carlsbad just doesn't measure up- sorry, kids!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF

I looked in her mouth and didn't see anything. She is eating and walking fine so hopefully the cactus just scared her before she grabbed it. :goodluck

Good to know! This cactus seems more "hairy" than spiny, but it does have some spines so I was worried.

I still have a scar from a teeny spine from my prickly pear cactus. Stupid plant. :angry:

Back in the days before fiberglass, glochids were harvested for making itching powder.

what in God's name would you DO with "itching powder"?????? :blink::eek Isn't itching something you'd want to get RID of, not make???? :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Back in the days before fiberglass, glochids were harvested for making itching powder.

what in God's name would you DO with "itching powder"?????? :blink::eek Isn't itching something you'd want to get RID of, not make???? :dunno

What? Never pulled a prank before?

itching-powder.jpg

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)