Post Peroxide

Guest Liz_in_PA

Guest Liz_in_PA

So Dingleshorts ate a corn cob out of the trash. I administered the peroxide (Thanks Chad for getting the appropriate dosage posted). After the yakking, is anything necessary?

Liz

Guest TurnerMiller01
So Dingleshorts ate a corn cob out of the trash. I administered the peroxide (Thanks Chad for getting the appropriate dosage posted). After the yakking, is anything necessary?

Liz

Ok.. someone please tell me what is toxic about the corn on the cob? the cob? not the corn? can someon explain... i'm a newbie... thank you

Guest Energy11

I might not have worried about a corn cob ... but, now that he has yaked, you should be okay. Staggerlee was out in the larger pen earlier, eating tree bark! I swear ... !

Guest Energy11
Corn cobs can expand in their digestive tract, I believe, and cause blockages.

Did the whole thing come up?

Interesting to know about the corn cobs! Thanks!

That and it's completely indigestible- lots of fibrous cellulose, for which the greyhound is ill-prepared to digest. Even if it doesn't swell, it can form a fatal obstruction.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest spider9174

you don't have to do anything post peroxide. they get it all out. i have had to do the peroxide a couple of times. once with a toxic plant and the other with a granola bar--he ate it with the wrapper still on, swallowed it whole.

i just watched him for the next 24 hours. i fed a bland diet for a day or so (that's just my personal prefernece.)

Guest TurnerMiller01

thank you ... i did not know that.

That and it's completely indigestible- lots of fibrous cellulose, for which the greyhound is ill-prepared to digest. Even if it doesn't swell, it can form a fatal obstruction.

Wow... thank you for the information.

Guest Liz_in_PA

Yeah, a friend's golden ate one and ended up with surgery to remove it. They were on vacation and the caretakers had to make that unpleasant call to them. $600.00

If the kids hadn't said something, I would't have known. But, he did chew it into bits. I'm assuming the entirety came out. I wasn't willing to put the puzzle pieces together. :repuke

edited for paranoia: DO I need to worry that it didn't all come out?

Edited by Liz_in_PA

One of my dogs had to be made to throw up and I used peroxide and water mixed.

At 4am that next morning she awakened me throwing up coffee ground emesis... bloody vomit that looks like coffee grounds, you'd know it by the smell. I called a friend who worked at the E-vet. My friend told me to give her 1 prilosec OTC (as my friend put it, the "big guns") and I continued them for about 2 weeks and she was fine. Had I taken her in, that's what they would have used for her. The peroxide can eat up their tummy's for the time it's in there before the dog throws it up.

I've had to make one other dog throw up by using peroxide since then and I just start them on the prilosec otc after the ordeal is over. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

My vets' office just gave me an Rx Prilosec-type drug after they/we had to administer peroxide because she ate dark chocolate. It's cymetadine (sp?)--2x/day, for 5 days.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Liz_in_PA

I did give him an OTC famotidine? Ranitodine? One of the two, because he's on Cephlax (sp?) and prednisone for a boobooed foot and he tends to get rumbly tummy. Fortunately, I hadn't given the meds before he snarfed the corn cob.

No obvious ill effects at the 20 hour point.

I'm glad Dash is OK. Good job getting the peroxide into him. If there are any pieces of the corn cob left in his tummy they will probably pass. Just keep an eye on him.

Has he done his #2 for the day? Is he eating anything? Or, are you waiting on the food?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Glad I could be of assistance getting the dosage out there. I am glad both our events resulted in no e-vet trips.

Chad

Guest Liz_in_PA
I'm glad Dash is OK. Good job getting the peroxide into him. If there are any pieces of the corn cob left in his tummy they will probably pass. Just keep an eye on him.

Has he done his #2 for the day? Is he eating anything? Or, are you waiting on the food?

He has successfully pooed. No sign of corn bits. He had his usual brunch. He appears normal.