Need Help Fast

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see she has bad teeth. Is she on any antibiotics? I have two old one's with horrible rotting teeth and they are 13 and 15 years old. The vet has them on Doxie for the rest of their life. The toxic emzynes(?) from their bad teeth, will over a period of time damage their organs, heart, kidneys etc. Sounds like she is on something like that if she has been on the medicine since August. Are her gums and teeth any better with the meds or are they just plan rotten teeth?

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

You know Dan, I don't know. Dr. Blackburn gives me Valium suppositories to keep on hand for Saint. He clustered once and I had to use them to stop his seizures. Try calling the other vet and see if you can substitute either of those.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I see she has bad teeth. Is she on any antibiotics? I have two old one's with horrible rotting teeth and they are 13 and 15 years old. The vet has them on Doxie for the rest of their life. The toxic emzynes(?) from their bad teeth, will over a period of time damage their organs, heart, kidneys etc. Sounds like she is on something like that if she has been on the medicine since August. Are her gums and teeth any better with the meds or are they just plan rotten teeth?

WHEN SHE HAD teeth we were at the vet every 3 months getting them cleaned , her gums were infected with gingivitis , her teeth were all pulled 2 years ago and she has been on the kidney food eversince , at our vet we have two doctors and they are very good the other two vets in the area we dont trust.

WHEN SHE HAD teeth we were at the vet every 3 months getting them cleaned , her gums were infected with gingivitis , her teeth were all pulled 2 years ago and she has been on the kidney food eversince , at our vet we have two doctors and they are very good the other two vets in the area we dont trust.

Oh yes, we have some toothless wonders also. How are her kidney values? At her age she might start having seizures. It's a hazard of ageing it seems. Keep a log of her seizures, durations, description and date. See if she has a pattern if she has more.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Energy11

Judy, you are right on this! Yes, it sounds like a seizure for sure! NO reason to put a dog down ... lots of options with this. Seizures can be caused by MANY things, and that is what you have to do ... find out what is causing the seizures.

Do you have any VALIUM at all in the house?

Good luck, and yes, this MIGHT happen again. Hugs and prayers! DEE

Guest koolaidnconner

Damn! DOn't listen to that vet tech and make sure you talk to your vet about her. I have been volunteering at a vet clinic since Feb doing hands on experiance well in school taking my vet assistant course and I can honestly say that if that were one of the techs responses in the clinic I am sure they would be gone. That is NOT for her to say!

Prayers coming your way!

We have had lots of Greyhounds and sharon just went threw all our old medicines and found a bunch of 10 mg. valums , we called the vet tetch at home and she said to break one in half and give it to her to prevent a another seizure so we did , we also called wayne again who also works with GPA Nashville and he agrees as he has had the same problem , around here things are a little different than the larger cities , Thank you everyone for your help it looks like we have this under control until we can get her to the vet on monday , PLEASE PRAY FOR MY MAGGIE--Greys Magnet

Many prayers for Maggie. If you need anything just let me know. Glad I was able to help.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyscot

I had a seizure dog and I'll never forget how scary it was when he had his first seizure. :grouphug to you and all good thoughts for Maggie.

Guest Pipi5

Dan keep us posted, both Judy (Jillysfullhouse) and Cora (Tallgreydogmom) are my library on seizures now that I have 2, Gabby & Halo, without their help I'd be lost.

Edited by Pipi5

Its been one and a quarter hrs. since it happened and she is lying calm now for a hour --- we have xanax and ace will they work the same as valum.--- xanax is supposed to be the same as valum

NEITHER xanax or ace is for seizures. Please don't use either of them. Kidney disease, depending on what kind of disease, can foul up electrolytes so that may be a consideration. Labs can rule that out. Another good reason to head to the vet.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Energy11

Good idea on giving the 5 mg. of Valium. You CAN give 10 mg, if needed if another seizure occurs, BUT you cannot give it during the seizure, or right after, ... you'd need to wait until she is "with it" again, so she can swallow without choking, etc.

Once you get this figured out (vets), you might want to keep trans-rectal Valium on hand, like I do, which can be given rectally, during a seizure, ... it works VERY fast!

Good luck, and hopefully, you will find a vet to get to the bottom of WHY these seizures have started.

Prayers and hugs, too!

PRAYERS ARE WORKING all our other Greys jumped up and wanted to go outside for pee pee time , Maggie was just pretending she was sleeping and jumped up and ran to the door wanting out with them , Sharon put a lease on her and she went out and did her pee pee then came in and ran into the toilet and drank a bunch--I keep the toilets spotless.

Thank you LORD for answered Prayers and all of you.

Do you think it would be a good idea to give her 5 mg. of Valium twice a day until we can get to the vet on monday.

Maggie was just pretending she was sleeping and jumped up and ran to the door wanting out with them , Sharon put a lease on her and she went out and did her pee pee then came in and ran into the toilet and drank a bunch--I keep the toilets spotless.

Typical behavior after a seizure. They aren't aware that anything was wrong and as soon as they have their legs back under them they return to acting totally normally. I don't think giving her valium twice a day would hurt anything but me personally, I'd want to wait until she really needed it again. I would however get her to the vet first thing Monday morning and have him do some lab work to see what's going on.

I would be LIVID at that vet tech. Who SAYS something like that over the phone without seeing the dog?

Hope you get this figured out soon.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I would be LIVID at that vet tech. Who SAYS something like that over the phone without seeing the dog?

Hope you get this figured out soon.

I'm not mad at her , she has known Maggie for 9 years now and has always been a nice person and I think knows her job , why she said that could be that she knows how bad her kidneys are and might have thought this was the end---as did I.

So glad to read that she's better by the time I got to the end of this thread!

What stuns me is that, with the nearest emergency vet 150 miles away, the vets in your community don't take turns being "on call" for emergencies, especially if there's four of them. That's only one week/weekend a month each! Gheesh!

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Guest SusanP

And I'm amazed that in an emergency, the vet tech couldn't get you in touch with the vet even at home and took it upon herself to give advice about medication herself.

Thank goodness your girl is comfy and happy now. Sending healthy thoughts to her.