Chewing On Toe

Guest suzye

Guest suzye

Popo is chewing on one toe on one hind leg. It's red and the fur is falling off. I don't see any reason why he started chewing it to begin with. Is there something I can spray on the toe that won't irritate it but will taste bad so he stops chewing? I can't stop him every minute and we know well most of these dogs take to foot-wrapping. If I can't stop this any other way I will have to get the e-collar. :unsure

If he's chewing it, I'd check and see if there is something going on with the toe. You might have it checked.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Might be allergies, might be anything. You might have to have it checked. In the meantime, a toddler sock, and a bootie, if you have one, would get him away from the foot until you can get it checked. Good luck!

He could have something in there, like a splinter...maybe you could soak it and see if that helps?

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest suzye

I will try the bitter apple. There is no sore, so I don't think it would be easily harmed. The sock is not staying on well (even secured with a rubber band). The sock doesn't seem to be bothering him, but nearly every time I turn around it magically falls off! No change in food.

Bitter Apple is often recommended, rarely effective!

I have never had any luck with any animal and Bitter Apple! They actually seem to enjoy the taste!

Just an FYI.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest suzye

I'd be willing to try it (I'm sure it's cheap) but I didn't manage to get to the store. We're going to the vet tomorrow afternoon anyway. Maybe I will find out another time!

Vets have something that's more effective than Bitter Apple (or its milder cousin, Bitter Yuck). I don't remember the name of it...just remember that my vet said to let him know if Sam messed with his staples last summer.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest suzye

The vet said his toe and nail appear to be sound despite the evidence of chewing. He gave me some antibiotic, antifungal ointment and some "Yuck". Hope it helps. After a through exam he didn't find any sign of discomfort.