High % Protein Food

I've read about needing to feed a high, quality protein food post amp surgery, and we've been looking in to that. Right now Jamey is on a 20% protein premium

quality food. What percentage should we be looking at for a high % protein food? I've found one as high as 34% protein.

Thank you for any input.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

You might want to consider not changing the diet - the less stress to the GI system the better.

But, I might recommend adding an egg or two to the diet and see how that works. Eggs are a great protein. If the dog can tolerate, a little bit of cheese is also good.

I think many of the amp/chemo greys are eating EVO. No grains, high protein. Bodie did well on Barking at the Moon, Solid Gold's no grain food.

EVO kibble gave Winslow the trots. He's eating canned with add ins like egg and yogurt.

When Annie was being treated for erlichia and didn't want to eat, we got EVO canned and reduced fat kibble (and hand fed her). She kept weight on one can and one cup per day! I was quite impressed. She did also eat 1c of turkey for her midnight snack :) She weighs 64#.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest VirginiaGreys

I am trying to switch Dodge over to Natural Balance AMP...it's got 27% protein....plus he's getting some satin balls as well. Last night was the first night on regular kibble. I'm hoping that the NB will be a good kibble for him.

I also had read the same thing...but how much protein is the best %??

I misread your post and I missed that you're probably looking for a "cancer diet". If that is the case, you want to cut down on the carbos in the diet because there is some thought that they help cancers grow. You can probably check for more information out on the web.

The cancer diet (home-made) that I had for my dog consisted of either chicken or beef along with eggs mixed with vegetables and fish oil. No carbos at all. Check with your vet and see if that's what they had in mind.

Most of the vets (including Dr. Couto) don't believe that diet helps at all. After watching many of the cancer dogs, I will disagree :) The diet in addition to artemisinin (which Dr. Couto believes in and has done a study on) and Transfer Factor (Winslow is on it and Bodie was) I think make a difference. All in all, it sure doesn't hurt.

I've noticed in following one of the kids diagnosed with DIPG (an 8 year old human boy) that they too have gone natural. It may not cure cancer, but it seems to buy time. Any time bought is worth the diet.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I'm with Dr. Couto et al. -- I can't find anything that convinces me carbs are harmful to cancer patients or that any specific diet is helpful to them.

That said, animal protein sources generally carry more calories, and more calories may be really really useful in a dog who has some inappetence, vomiting, etc. due to chemotherapy and other meds. Batman ate mostly meats/eggs because they were easy to prepare in the form he needed, they had lots of calories, and that's what he wanted at the time.

If diet is a concern, I'd probably feed a well-formulated homecooked diet rather than kibble. I personally wouldn't start raw due to the increased bacteria load vs. a compromised immune system (at least if the dog is getting chemo), but if that's what the dog is used to and likes, I'd probably continue feeding it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

I agree with adding protein to the current diet, eggs, peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, if your pup can tolerate milk products

Thank you everyone! The food that Jamey is on is a good quality one. I just wondered if the % protein was high enough. I have found Go Natural Chicken & Vegetable (Canadian brand) which has 42% protein. Our Lab, who has allergies, is on Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal, and she does so well on it. Jamey will love having eggs and cheese added to his diet, LOL!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.