Black Gums

A friend's neighbors dog stays leashed up in their yard 24 hours. my friend is going to get service hours for walking petting ect.. the dog. She noticed the dog has black gums. Could the dog naturally have black gums?. The dog is black kind of a 50 pound mutt. Do black gums mean dehydration? What kinds of store bought bones would be good for him? I know the neighbor won't go to the vet due to costs so my friend is trying to do a few things to help the poor dog out. Any suggestions welcome. I hope this was ok to post here since the dog is not a grey.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Hi there. Our black Labrador has black on her gums too. I don't think there is any problem having black gums in a black dog.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest SusanP

Thank goodness the owners are permitting your friend to give this poor dog some attention. Any chance she could adopt him at some point if the owners don't care about him?

I wouldn't worry about black gums.

Guest kydie

A big Hug to your friend for helping this pup out, We have a golden/chow mix, and she is the color of a golden, but has black gums. Bones? I think giant soup bones, that don't cost too much would be a great treat for this poor pup

Chows have black or purple tongues, so if the dog has Chow in its mix, the black gums seem possible. Lucky has one black spot on the middle of her tongue (she appears to be a shepherd/rottie/lab mix, see the Expo thread for a pic of her and Daisy).

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

She could never adopt cause she is allergic to dogs..lol. it is a shame people who have a dog and leave him chained outside all day. why even have a dog?? ty for the input. What kind of bones would be good for the dog he is probably so bored out there all day by himself. any cheap bones that are long lasting?

oops i see someone wrote giant soup bones raw right?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest Energy11

I feel badly for the dog. Yes, blackish gums kind of come with black dogs, and if the dog has Chow it him, gums, and tongue, tend to be blackish.