Thoughts On Vet Visit

Guest Hawkeye

Guest Hawkeye

This is just a brief follow up to the previous post about my grey Nadia and her bad trip to the dog park. I hope this doesn't get closed, I'm not sure why the other one did.

First of all, I love my greyhound very much and she lives a VERY good life. She gets the run of the house. She has a crate but we haven't had the door on it in a long time. She can sleep in the bed with me if she wants, but she rarely does that for more than a few minutes. Her bed is right by mine. I take her with me in the car and she seems to really like that. Until this bad experience, she got to go to the dog park regularly. She receives all of her regular vet care and is current on all shots, frontline and interceptor.

That being said, she is not a human. To be honest, we live in a society that is often too quick to cry "ouch" and run to the doctor. People, and greyhounds for that matter, have survived millennia without constantly running to the doctor. That doesn't mean that modern medicine doesn't improve quality of life and prolong life expectancy. I'm just saying, often times the body has the ability to get itself through many things.

I'M NOT NEGLECTING MY DOG. I used PTO (paid time off) to make sure that Nadia didn't exhibit any symptoms that WOULD WARRANT me taking her to the vet. Had she shown any real duress I would have taken her immediately. After speaking with Dr. Keely, Nadia's vet, he basically backed me up on this.

I'm sorry that many of you disagree with the decision I made. You can call it reckless if you like. Though it's not the same thing, I'm a distance runner. I've felt what Nadia has felt, believe it or not. I've pushed and pushed to finish a race, pushed beyond when I should have shut down. From this experience I know that the next few days aren't comfortable, but they're also NOT LIFE THREATENING. Hydrate and rest. That's it. I didn't rush myself immediately to the doctor. Honestly, my body could regenerate itself just fine. I gave Nadia's body the same opportunity.

Neither my vet nor my sponsor from the adoption group felt that I acted irresponsibly. That's pretty much all I need to know. The reason I posted here (and perhaps I wasn't clear) was to get ideas for hydration (which I ultimately got) and to see who's also been through it.

FWIW, by way of an update, Nadia is doing quite well now. She ate a small but adequate portion of food earlier and has been drinking regularly. Her pee is also back to normal. Her body simply had to catch up.

Thank you all for your well wishes. The grey's that have been adopted by all of you are truly fortunate. Our dogs are truly blessed to have caring, comfortable homes.

I wish you all well.

I'm glad that Nadia is doing better. The unfortunate thing about posting online (or in an email) is that we never know if we are talking about the same thing, or if what you see is what we imagine. I'll be the first to admit that I was guilty of that.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Happy to see that Miss Nadia is feeling better.

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I'm glad to see this update, I've been worried about her since reading the other posts. I hope she continues to improve.

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Glad to hear she is feeling better.

Now on to enjoying the good thing about our greyhounds and life on GreyTalk.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****