Thoughts On Heartworm....

Guest eclipse3315

Guest eclipse3315

so, we have our application in with an adpotion agency and are currently looking for matches. 1 match is a cute little brindle ~3 years old (actually about the only match at the moment)...

was going to get spayed a couple weeks ago and a heartworm test came out positive... treatment was going to be started and they asked the vet to repeat the test, this time it came out negative... so they did a control test and had it sent away, that one came out negative as well... she WAS given Ivermectin at the kennel when she was there... she gets spayed this week and was recently started on Interceptor... she would obviously need to remain on preventative HW for the rest of her life (which is ok with us) and should be retested regularly (every 6 months or so, again, not a huge deal)...

she can be adopted but I have never dealt with any positive heartworm tests before... should we be concerned with adopting this greyhound? :/

any thoughts??? thanks in advance

I don't have any experience with heartworm postive pups, but I read here in the last week or so that someone had a problem with a heartworm test. They got a false positive when sending it out to a low-cost lab. Unfortunately, I can't find the thread. Maybe someone else remembers who posted it.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest longdogs

Personally, I would go ahead and adopt her. At three years old she should cope with treatment if it really turns out to be necessary.

I wouldn't give a second thought if you are really attracted to her. Keep her on preventative and be vigilante with follow-up blood-work and I doubt you will have any problems.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****