Collar Irritating My Grey's Neck, She's Balding!

Guest MinisMom

Guest MinisMom

Hello All

I am a new Grey mom (2 1/2 months). Mini is a 5 1/2 year old. When she came to us, the fur around her neck where her collar sits (on the underside) was a bit thin. In the last few weeks the area has become much worse...more balding and irritated. When we are not on a walk I put on a thin (1/2 inch) collar and transfer her tag to that.

I hate taking her for a walks with the martingale collar and irritating her neck more, but she needs her twice daily walkies. (I don't have another martingale collar until 2Hound Designs FINALLY figures out our order. It's taken 2 months...I wouldn't order from them if I was you).

My question is, can I use a harness-type collar or something else for walkies until this heals? Has anyone else experienced this with their houndies?

Any help would be greytly appreciated!

Is she wearing a lined collar? My hounds lost their hair where their collars are but are not irritated. I buy only lined collars and it cuts down on the irritation quite a lot. As for 2Hounds, Alisha is fantastic. I would send her an email and I'm sure she will do her best to straighten out your order. She has just expanded her business and is quite busy these days. You can get a harness for walking but I always feel safer with a harness and collar.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Yes, Two Hounds are AMAZING! Hard to believe you've had trouble. All of mine wear her martingales, EXCEPT Goldie! She has very little hair on her neck, and can only wear Karen's Kollars, more expensive, but lined with fleece. http://www.karenskollars.net

Goldie wears a 1/2 inch Prestige tag collar all the time, without irritation, and a Karen's when she walks. Works GREYT! I do NOT like harnesses. I tried them, and one summer traveling in an RV, as two went down the ramp to unload, the harnesses slipped off! Good thing I had tag collars to hang onto.

Good Luck with this! D

Guest MinisMom

I am not sure what "lined" means. It's woven leash-like material. Not silky or anything nice like that.

Alisha knows about my order...they lost it during the move. But it has still taken 2 months and she said that they were very disorganized. Which isn't the

most comforting thing to hear when you've given someone your credit card number :o

I guess we'll try to find a collar for now at a pet store.

I second the recommendation for Karen's Kollars

Our two black dogs both have balding issues and Karen's Kollars have worked wonderfully.

(although Kaylee's neck still has a bit of balding right where the fur lining stops and the webbing brings it together).

I'll go snap some photos so you can see them on our guys.

FL

Guest Energy11

Our two black dogs both have balding issues and Karen's Kollars have worked wonderfully.

(although Kaylee's neck still has a bit of balding right where the fur lining stops and the webbing brings it together).

FL

Karen's Kollars are FLEECE LINED. AND, you can design your own, as well. Good Luck with that.

Guest mountain4greys

My first greyhound's neck got bald when I first got her. Turns out it was the 1/2 collar. It wasn't lined with something soft. Now I use 1 1/2 inch collars from 2Hounds and Houndstown. No more balding.

We opted for the fake fur lined on ours - and are very happy with them.

Here are some photos.

Drake, modeling the Electric Blue Ultrasuede collar with gold/blue Jacquard trim.

3563939908_0ffe18e55a_b.jpg

Kaylee, modeling the Lavendar Ultrasuede collar with pink/lavendar Jacquard trim.

3563125651_b7531667b3_b.jpg

Kaylee does still have some balding issues right where the collar comes together under her neck - but it isn't painful for her, and the webbing is mostly not up against her skin because of the thickness of these padded collars with the fake fur lining.

3563940188_e793f20c12_b.jpg

Chester also wore a Karen's Kollar when he was with us. This was his most recent one - a lovely brown-ish collar to go with his beautiful red/brindle coat. I honestly don't recall which color I chose for this one.. maybe Adobe? I've chosen to show it empty so you can see the inside of the collar. We really miss our Chester-woo - he was a good boy.

You can see the dog hair that has come off on the fake fur lining. The nice thing about the ultrasuede collars is that they are washable in the washing machine (fluff dry).

3563126045_b555545d4b_b.jpg

3563940804_08ac1b8725_b.jpg

There are plenty of great options out there - but we've been very happy with our collars. The basic idea with a balding neck is to get a collar that is lined in something to keep that "leash webbing" type of material off their fur/skin.

Please let us know what you decide to go with, and how it works out over time! Congrats on your new fur-baby :-)

FL

FL

Karen's Kollars are FLEECE LINED. AND, you can design your own, as well. Good Luck with that.

What we do here: at all times, a narrow (I'm talking 5/8" wide) nylon buckle collar is on them for tags. These are kept very loose. For walks or other outing, we put on the martingales. I typically use martingales lined with satin, to prevent rubbing.

I have never had a problem with hair loss, not even on the hairy hounds!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hi,

Just a quick note - I have been emailing you at the email address you provided but based on your comments above, I think maybe you aren't receiving them. Please email me, my address is alisha@2houndsdesign.com.

We were disorganized in terms of boxes being in weird places and not being able to find all of our materials quickly, but credit card information is never stored, we shred anything that has a credit card number on it so you have nothing to worry about there despite our chaos.

I apologize for the misunderstanding and I am not sure why my emails haven't gotten through to you, if you will email me your phone number, I will call you tomorrow.

Thanks!

Alisha

(edited to add: Just in case you have been emailing me and I haven't gotten them, here is my phone number: 704-234-0228. I will be in the office from 8am until at least 5pm tomorrow. When you call, Garland will most likely answer, tell her I asked you to call and speak with me. :))

Edited by 2hounds

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Kaquel

Lite had some rubbing issues. We put him on fish oil to help his coat in general (Grizzly Salmon Oil works very well! he even grew hair on his bald stomach) and he wears a rolled leather tag collar like this one:

http://www.petco.com/Shop/SearchResults.as...=rolled+leather

They're supposed to minimize rubbing, and it seems to work. We keep it fairly loose.

You could also look into tag necklaces.

Guest RocketDog

My dogs both have nekkid necks, and we've moved from using the plain PREMIER martingales to silk/satin/fleece lined fancy collars for walks. I bought some Silk Road collars at the Greyhound Gathering and they are lined with this fleecy/peachskin kind of fabric, it's super soft and doesn't rub or irritate their necks at all. They're a bit spendy, but worth it!

Guest PhillyPups

I have to say I have been buying collars from 2Hounds for a VERY long time for all my hounds - never a problem with either the collars OR the transactions! Alisha is always very professional.

I have moved several times - and do understand that no matter how organized one thinks they are in packing, the unpacking can be insane.

I have found Alisha's collars to be stunningly stylish. I still have (and use) the first collars I ordered from Alisha (wish I still had the hounds I bought them for) and they hold up beautifully.

I think up until you arrived on the scene, I was probably her hardest, most difficult first time buyer. I gladly pass that title on to you. :lol. Alisha spent about 5 phone calls with me just deciding which colors would be best for my dogs, as I buy multiple (matching patterns) in different colors. I have never had a problem with my credit card information being in her hands.

I personally am apalled that your first post (and your second), you would slam one of the hardest working vendors that is an active member of the GT community, one who not only makes a wonderful product, but one who spends numerous hours of her time helping the hounds get homes!

Have you considered that it is possible that your hound may need to wear a harness to avoid problems with neck hair loss? Have you had a full vet check to see if the hair loss is caused by any medical condition?

Oh and welcome to GreyTalk :wave where we "play nice" most times :lol

This is a common issue with using a nylon or polypro collar on any breed of dog. The material is too harsh for their sensitive skin.

Look into getting a collar lined with felt, fleece, satin, cuddle satin, moleskin or leather and you'll see a difference very quickly. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest gurehaundo

Out of all the collars I've ever bought my IGs and Greys, I must say that 2Hounds is my favorite. Karen of Karen's Kollars is a great person (I love that girl!) and her collars are beautiful, but the metal kept discoloring my IGs' fur and they did start to lose some of their neck fuzz from the constant rubbing. My IGs only wear collars when they are not in the house.

I understand how it is to be frustrated when you've ordered something and it's taken a while to get to you. It's like Christmas just can't arrive soon enough! In my case, I thought that Alisha had forgotten about me, but I also knew that she had just hired some new employees and was probably attending some Greyhound events. Well, one of Alisha's employees had e-mailed me once (in response to some of my e-mails) and I kept sending all of my order correspondence to that e-mail address. After a month or so of not hearing anything from 2Hounds, I decided to contact Alisha via Grey Talk. Alisha got back to me right away and it turned out that she had never received any of my e-mails (that supposedly went to one of her employees). Alisha had always been great to work with in the past so for her to ignore me was too much for me to take! After everything was said and done, I'm sure I annoyed that poor girl to where she now wishes that I would just disappear. Unfortunately, her collars are just too awesome to not keep buying. Give Alisha and 2Hounds another chance and I guarantee that you will not be sorry.

*Disclaimer: I do not work for Alisha. I am just a happy customer!

Guest PhillyPups

Funny how the OP has two posts (both here) and has not been back since, so I guess the problem is not that bad :dunno

:shakefinger:shakefinger

The nylon control loop from Karen's Kollars still rubbed the fur off of Jake's neck. Alisha at 2 Hounds is fantastic! I'm always annoying her about durable fabric for Jake.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

(I don't have another martingale collar until 2Hound Designs FINALLY figures out our order. It's taken 2 months...I wouldn't order from them if I was you).

I'd just like to add my :2c worth. Alisha has been undergoing a huge transition the last couple of months, expanding and moving her business location, training staff etc. and I truly believe this is where the delay is coming from. Alisha does amazing work. I am one of her retailers.

A soft lined collar or a harness - Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers of course, may be the option for her walks.

Good Luck and I hope you find the product that best suits your needs.

Liz

Guest MinisMom

Aww, such cuties! Nice collars too! Maybe Mini will feel like she's in her forever home if I can get a fancy collar on her! Thanks for taking the photos!

We opted for the fake fur lined on ours - and are very happy with them.

Here are some photos.

Guest MinisMom

I have read that the harness collars might lead to her getting away. Has this ever happened to you? I would like to try a harness, but afraid she'll get away... :blink:

(I don't have another martingale collar until 2Hound Designs FINALLY figures out our order. It's taken 2 months...I wouldn't order from them if I was you).

I'd just like to add my :2c worth. Alisha has been undergoing a huge transition the last couple of months, expanding and moving her business location, training staff etc. and I truly believe this is where the delay is coming from. Alisha does amazing work. I am one of her retailers.

A soft lined collar or a harness - Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers of course, may be the option for her walks.

Good Luck and I hope you find the product that best suits your needs.

Liz

What is OP?

Funny how the OP has two posts (both here) and has not been back since, so I guess the problem is not that bad :dunno

:shakefinger:shakefinger