Good News For Ibd/sibo/malabsorption Dog

People have been kind enough to PM to ask how Spencer's IBD is doing from time to time, and I haven't been very good about posting updates except when we're in a panic for information. So I thought I'd take a sliver of GT bandwidth to share the good news that he's doing very well!

His Clostridium SIBO has cleared and his flora are back in balance. Although he lost five pounds a few weeks back, he's holding steady now at 76 lbs. His poops had stayed runny on raw venison, so we followed the suggestion to add Natural Balance venison & sweet potato kibble, and he is firming up nicely. Budesonide has reduced the tummy rumbling 90%, though it took a couple weeks to get that good. Will stay on that and Flagyl for the foreseeable future. Religious use of Zantac twice a day has helped a lot too.

He's lost a lot of muscle, but he's happy, loves to walk, sometimes cuts loose for a back-yard run, plays with stuffies, and has regained his love for meeting people and other dogs. He wowed the vet's office the other day with his gentle charming of a skeptical little girl pug.

Thanks so much for supporting us with your knowledge and concern, and especially in avoiding the biopsy route. The ultrasound was a noninvasive but very informative way to find out what we needed to know, and our vet stood up to the internist about it, in part because of GTers' experience. As a behaviorist recently put it: Thousands of anecdotes equal data!

Now if we can just get some weight back on him!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

:clap Such good news about Spencer! Gentle hugs to you both and continued prayers for Spencer's recovery! And you're right - GT rocks!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zoolaine

Good boy Spencer! Glad to hear you are doing better. Sunny was eating Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato and did well on it. After awhile he didn't like it anymore so I switched to their duck and potato. It is expensive but has worked well for Sunny.

Glad to hear things are headed in the right direction. It's interesting to hear how vets differ.

Both my vet and IMS said not to bother with the ultrasound as it would be a waste of money and show nothing but thickening of the walls which means nothing and tells you very little.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Excellent news! :clap I'm so glad Spencer is almost back to normal! 76 pounds sounds good to me. My Spencer is holding steady at 72.

Glad to hear things are headed in the right direction. It's interesting to hear how vets differ.

Both my vet and IMS said not to bother with the ultrasound as it would be a waste of money and show nothing but thickening of the walls which means nothing and tells you very little.

Thanks, Robin. It's downright SCARY how vets differ!

When I requested the ultrasound, which the internist had previously said would show quite a bit, I thought we'd find gall stones and maybe rule out cancer. I had no idea it would show such structural changes as vastly enlarged lymph structures in the intestinal wall and, within them, dilated lacteals. I'd have been tempted to do the endoscopic biopsy to determine which type of inflammatory cells if it were able to access the small intestine, where the problem was.

I guess I had my choice of whose opinion to trust, the internist or the vet. Eventually, it comes down to the dog's person to decide. Still hoping I haven't chosen wrong cuz I know we're not done yet. But I'm reasonably optimistsic. :) And I'm very, very happy for you and Beau!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

thanks for the update. lexie eats these sweet potatoe buddy biscuits. I have to get them from an organic store. they are the only treat that doesn't bother her stomach. Sweet potatoes must be a good thing. :)

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Excellent news! :D Well done Spencer (& staff ;) )!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest SoulsMom

Thanks for the wonderful update!! :yay:yay

My vet was also like yours when I was going through something similiar with Soul. He was of the opinion that a scope/surgery would only be used as a tool of last resort. As it was, Soul's ultrasound came back perfect, with just a slight thickening of the walls of the small intestines. They too were also looking for cancer on his 'sound.

thanks for the update. lexie eats these sweet potatoe buddy biscuits. I have to get them from an organic store. they are the only treat that doesn't bother her stomach. Sweet potatoes must be a good thing. :)

Thanks for the tip? Where do you get these? Are they just locally made or maybe available nationally?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tigger

Through tears of joy I am writing to say how very happy I am for you and Spencer on his remarkable recovery!! I know Stevie is in doggie heaven with a big smile on his face, shaking his whole body doing a happy dance and his little 1/2 tail wagging a 100mph :)

Spencer and Stevie sound identical in personalities(same age too). Stevie wasn't modest at all. He would walk up to anyone and give a look as if he was saying "I love Stevie...don't you love Stevie too?....c'mon pet me, pet me!!!"

It's just so wonderful to read happy posts regarding this medical topic....Hugs to you and Spencer :grouphug

People have been kind enough to PM to ask how Spencer's IBD is doing from time to time, and I haven't been very good about posting updates except when we're in a panic for information. So I thought I'd take a sliver of GT bandwidth to share the good news that he's doing very well!

His Clostridium SIBO has cleared and his flora are back in balance. Although he lost five pounds a few weeks back, he's holding steady now at 76 lbs. His poops had stayed runny on raw venison, so we followed the suggestion to add Natural Balance venison & sweet potato kibble, and he is firming up nicely. Budesonide has reduced the tummy rumbling 90%, though it took a couple weeks to get that good. Will stay on that and Flagyl for the foreseeable future. Religious use of Zantac twice a day has helped a lot too.

He's lost a lot of muscle, but he's happy, loves to walk, sometimes cuts loose for a back-yard run, plays with stuffies, and has regained his love for meeting people and other dogs. He wowed the vet's office the other day with his gentle charming of a skeptical little girl pug.

Thanks so much for supporting us with your knowledge and concern, and especially in avoiding the biopsy route. The ultrasound was a noninvasive but very informative way to find out what we needed to know, and our vet stood up to the internist about it, in part because of GTers' experience. As a behaviorist recently put it: Thousands of anecdotes equal data!

Now if we can just get some weight back on him!