Losing Teeth

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

OK I'm a bit freaked out just now. I just found out that my boy is going to lose seven teeth during his dental today! I feel SOOOOOO bad that I didn't realize his teeth were in such bad shape - I'll be paying MUCH more attention to his remaining ones, and my girls (though hers are much better in general). Is there anything I need to be prepared for, or can do to make it easier for him when he comes home? I can't believe they got so bad since his dental last year - I feel terrible, and so sorry for him! Any advice would be welcome.

Guest Energy11

As you probably know, Greys have inherantly bad teeth to begin with. Some theories include the Grade D foods they are fed at the track, some just heredity.

It is not unusual for them to lose teeth during a dental. When Bold Energy went to The Bridge, he had two teeth left at 11.5 .

I use a water additive to help keep the tarter down. Breathalizer is a good product, and sold online or at most vets. I also use Oxyfresh Gel as a toothpaste, as it has antibacterial qualities. Lastly, I like Liba III, which is a holistic product, that ACTUALLY does remove bad tarter from the teeth.

Good luck with this... Soft food for a few days for your baby when he gets home!

D :grouphug:getwell

Edited by Energy11

I feel for you and your boy.. my Kaylee just had 16 teeth pulled and the vet actually wanted to take more but felt she had been under for long enough (2 hours). She goes back in about 5 more weeks (her dental was 2 weeks ago) and we'll decide if we need to put her back under to take out a few more or if she can wait a while longer.

This is after a dental 18 months prior, and regular tooth brushing.

Kaylee bounced back very quickly. We fed her EN canned food (soft, basically beef and rice) for a few days to make us feel better - but she'd have eaten her normal kibble if we had let her at it!

Good luck!

FL

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks for the encouragement:) I'll certainly use water additive, and try to be better at brushing! He's such a bad patient, it'll be a rough couple of days I think. I'll check out the products you recommended.

This is what is so good about this site - I know lots of greys lose teeth, but when you're freaking out about this, or anything, it makes you feel a bit better to talk to someone right away who's experienced the same things you have - thanks!

Guest Energy11
Thanks for the encouragement:) I'll certainly use water additive, and try to be better at brushing! He's such a bad patient, it'll be a rough couple of days I think. I'll check out the products you recommended.

This is what is so good about this site - I know lots of greys lose teeth, but when you're freaking out about this, or anything, it makes you feel a bit better to talk to someone right away who's experienced the same things you have - thanks!

Yes, I agree! The sight is really helpful, and you meet a lot of good people as well! :eek:wubsite

Guest greyt_learner

Just spoke to the vet again. He lost a lot of molars and pre-molars:( But he is awake and doing fine - I can pick him up in a couple of hours:)

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks again everyone. I will do canned for a couple of days, then soaked kibble for a bit longer. I think I can get his meds down with a bit of cheese (or the roast beef that is in the crockpot right now).

Guest MAXNAV
OK I'm a bit freaked out just now. I just found out that my boy is going to lose seven teeth during his dental today! I feel SOOOOOO bad that I didn't realize his teeth were in such bad shape - I'll be paying MUCH more attention to his remaining ones, and my girls (though hers are much better in general). Is there anything I need to be prepared for, or can do to make it easier for him when he comes home? I can't believe they got so bad since his dental last year - I feel terrible, and so sorry for him! Any advice would be welcome.

My guy just lost 10 at his last dental a month ago. (2 extractions prior) There are more that have about 30% bone loss, so I'm sure he'll be losing more. He just turned 9. He was out-of-it for 2 days. No appetite, etc.

ETA: The vet put him on Clavamox, Tramadol and Metacam

Edited by MAXNAV

Kerri had 22 teeth pulled before I adopted her, she was 7 1/2 yrs old. She has no problem with eating, I soak her kibble in warm water and add some goodies. I give her cookies, they are hard but the kind that crumble easily. She's been with me for two years and hasn't lost any more teeth, but her last dental in Nov, the Vet told me she would probably loose a few the next dental. Most of her missing teeth are on the sides, she has her back teeth a few of the little front ones and her canines.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest greyt_learner

Puck still has an appetite - I don't ever want to find out what it would take for him not to want to eat - it'd have to be bad. He ate some soft food, and drank some water. I took him for a very short walk as I don't think he would have left the house on his own steam. He pooped some liquid - very red - I assume he swallowed a bit of blood. Pretty gross topic, sorry. He has carprofen for pain and clindamycin for antibiotics. Not familiar with either of those.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement

Guest ThunderPaws

My Waldo always had bad teeth and needed a dental twice a year. Now at 8 years old he only has his four canines and three little side ones left. He eats dry kibble just fine and gums on his rawhide stick until it's slobbery enough to swallow. He can't do big milk bones or pic ears, but he doesn't even miss it. :)

Guest MAXNAV
My Waldo always had bad teeth and needed a dental twice a year. Now at 8 years old he only has his four canines and three little side ones left. He eats dry kibble just fine and gums on his rawhide stick until it's slobbery enough to swallow. He can't do big milk bones or pic ears, but he doesn't even miss it. :)

Yup. Can't do milk bones here either. I even tried the puppy ones. He can't chew them. We moved on to soft cookies.

Polli had 17 teeth removed at her first dental and I brushed her teeth every day and I mean every day from there on in. Even though she didn't lose anymore after that she had 4 dentals in a 1.5 year period because her breath was so bad. I did everything. She had gum disease and there was nothing more I could do.

Losing all those teeth had absolutely no effect on how she ate, chewed bully sticks etc.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest bbquer

You have the right idea with the meds and soft foods. One of ours lost a few teeth at the age of 4. He still ate well for another 9 years.

You'll be happy with how quickly he'll recover.