Sick Or Depressed?

Guest momz

Guest momz

Ziggy has been acting odd all week. His symptoms by themselves don't bother me, but all 3 at the same time? 1)He's leaving breakfast in his bowl, but eating dinner. Poops ok. 2)He's been resisting walks with DH - but DH has been walking extra lately to exercise. But he usually loves walks. 3)And horrible night mares - growling and loud barking almost every night. He's done a little before, but not this much! I can't sleep thru the night. Even my kids think Ziggy seems sad. He was in a dog bite incident April 4 - but do you think that would bother him a month later and not before? We were just at the vet a few weeks ago and everythings ok. Can dogs get depressed? Should I be worried????? :unsure

Sure they can get depressed. If everything medical had been ruled out, you'll be playing detective trying to figure out what it is.

I hope you get to the bottom of it, I'm not much help, sorry.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

did you have a TBD panel completed? depression and sluggishness (even more than usual) were Phoenix's symptoms when he was diagnosed with babesia.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Dogs do experience PTSD symptoms and it's not unusual for those symptoms to manifest themselves weeks after the event.

Spud was fine after the dog attacked him, but about three weeks later he kind of fell apart a little. :(

If you are worried, I'd take him into the vet and explain your concerns. Perhaps run a tick panel (stress can also trigger dormant issues) so that's not a bad idea at all.

Don't know how hot it is where you are but I know my dogs are giant slugs right now because of the heat.

Hope you get some answers soon!

Guest momz

Thanks for the replies. And my DH was walking Ziggy when he was attacked and maybe that's why he doesn't want to walk with him????- maybe he does have some PTSD. He had a tick screening last year, but I will mention it to the vet. I'll keep my eye on him, but what can you do to help PTSD or depression???

Guest BlackandBrindle

First of all, I'd suggest you going on the walks with your husband and Ziggy.

You have to find the line between pushing too much and pushing just enough. You don't want to feed into his fear but you also need to be aware of his limits right now. Pushing too hard too fast can increase the trauma.

In the meantime, perhaps take a different walking route if possible. Have your husband carry the BEST TREATS IN THE WORLD, whatever that is for Ziggy.

Be upbeat and light hearted on walks.

And then just give him time. A year later, Spud still flinches when he hears Buddy barking (the dog who attacked him) but he'll walk past that house now. He doesn't look back quite as frequently and is getting more relaxed.

Try clicker training with him as a way of bonding and a way to tire him mentally.

You might try giving him some rescue remedy or melatonin about 30 minutes before you take him on a walk. You could even use the DAP collar or spray on his collar to help take the edge off.

Good luck!

If it persists and you find nothing medically wrong, I'd strongly encourage you to work with a behaviorist or trainer who is familiar with greyhounds.

Thanks for the replies. And my DH was walking Ziggy when he was attacked and maybe that's why he doesn't want to walk with him????- maybe he does have some PTSD. He had a tick screening last year, but I will mention it to the vet. I'll keep my eye on him, but what can you do to help PTSD or depression???

As for the PTSD, this is probably not a good time to be taking long walks, with DH or anyone else. Short exposures are best, working up gradually back to normal. Perhaps having both you and DH do the walk for a while will make Ziggy feel more protected. I'd let the nightmares go a little while, so he can perhaps get them out of his system. But if they don't stop soon, I'd wake him up when he has them.

Depression may respond to extra TLC at home -- extra touching, talking, a few more treats. It should also decrease along with the PTSD. If not, a vet visit is in order. And hopefully some other GTers have some good ideas. Good luck with this. I'm sure you'll get him through it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

once again i'm going to mention tick borne disease. they can lie dormant until a stressful situation occurs and show up years after exposure.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor Ziggy. Maybe he needs a spa retreat! (don't we all??!) :bath

One of my hounds is inclined toward depressive bouts (he is so intelligent and requires a tremendous amount of mental / social stimulation - and when he doesn't quite get his "fix," he gets kinda mopey). I will also say after he was started on thyroid meds, that brightened his moods considerably. Baby steps with Ziggy. Process of elimination.

Hope Ziggy feels better soon!

Guest momz

Thanks for all the great ideas - I will let you know how he does in the next few weeks...and I am going to call the vet and get her opinion! THanks! :rolleyes:

Guest LindsaySF

I would check for TBD as well.

I have a dog (Teagan) that often refuses the morning meal but goes back to eat it later in the day. It is normal for him. If it is not normal for your dog, I would worry that something medical was going on.

Teagan was also more sluggish and off his food when he had worms. He perked up a bit after I dewormed him. You might try that.

Guest FordRacingRon
Ziggy has been acting odd all week. His symptoms by themselves don't bother me, but all 3 at the same time? 1)He's leaving breakfast in his bowl, but eating dinner. Poops ok. 2)He's been resisting walks with DH - but DH has been walking extra lately to exercise. But he usually loves walks. 3)And horrible night mares - growling and loud barking almost every night. He's done a little before, but not this much! I can't sleep thru the night. Even my kids think Ziggy seems sad. He was in a dog bite incident April 4 - but do you think that would bother him a month later and not before? We were just at the vet a few weeks ago and everythings ok. Can dogs get depressed? Should I be worried????? :unsure

I'm not much with medical help as Leia is pretty healthy. But she was in a dog bite incident 3 years ago. Even though the attack occured 1/2 mile from our house for 6 months she suffered basically PTSD when it came to walks. It took her 2 months to heal from her wounds so the first couple of months there were no walkies but when she was physically recovered she just wouldn't go. We live at the end of a dead end street and if I started walking her off of our street she would go 3 houses and freeze and that was it. This went on for weeks. I finally drove her off the street, around the corner, and she was fine. But there was no way she would go out her front door and walk up the street. It took a good 6 months before she finally decided it was safe again.