Strokes & High Blood Pressure In Greys

Guest Greyhdnut

Guest Greyhdnut

I am wondering just how common strokes & high blood pressure are in Greyhounds. I will try to summerize this a briefly as possible. I've owned greys since 1996. One (Daisy) died suddenly at 2 years of age, we returned home (only away for a few hours) & she was on her bed as if asleep, dead. She showed no previous signs of any ill health and was a vibrant young dog. At the time we couldn't pay for an autopsy. I wonder now if she was our first stroke victim.

Another grey (Fairy) had a stroke-like condition when she was around 8 years old. Sudden onset, partially paralyzed, she recovered in hours and went on to live perfectly well until 12 years of age when she died of kidney failure. Knowing what I know now, I wonder if she had high blood pressure.

Our male grey (Limbo) that we adopted last Summer at 4 years old collapsed suddenly, we ended up taking him to a specialty hospital, $3,500 and after an MRI diagnosed stroke, we were told he had high blood pressure. He is on aspirin and blood pressure medication and is doing well.

Last Saturday, my 5 year old female Grey (Bryn) collapsed suddenly, stroke symptoms again! She was just resting on the couch. We couldn't afford the specialty hospital in Denver again, so we took her to our local vet. She's recovering slowly, but NO blood pressure was ever checked because our vet doesn't have a decent blood pressure machine. Its hard to find vets that have them around here.

So my questions are: Do greys have an unusually high rate of strokes? High blood pressure? Does anyone know and trust any vets in Colorado Springs (especially the south part of Colorado Springs), Pueblo, or Canon City in Colorado with greyhounds? We live at 9000 feet in the mountains, even Colorado Springs is far, but at least it isn't the 3 hour + drive that Denver is). :( I like the local vet I am going to, but I need someone who has a blood pressure machine!

I was at OSU a couple of weeks ago and Dr. Couto told me there are machines that he sends home with some patients so their blood pressure can be checked periodically. Why don't you call them and ask about you getting your own machine - I have no idea the cost, but they would be a good resource on where you can possibly find one. This all being said, if Dr. Couto sends greys home with a blood pressure machine, then he has seen it often enough. The other thing Dr. Couto says is you can't get a real good reading a a vet because the pup is stressed out.

My Pearl has hypertension. We caught it early because she also has heart disease. It is JUST barely under control and I've spent thousands trying to find the source. Lots of specialty clinics. Final outcome?...Idiopathic hypertensio (means no known reason).

There are a few greys here (past and present) that have hypertension.

If you can't get a machine from OSU, go to a local medical store and buy a cheap BP monitor with an infant cuff. You must have the infant cuff.

Use the base of the tail. You won't be able to hear the pressure like with people, but watch the needle. It will start to bounce when the blood starts flowing. It's not super accurate but it will definitely tell you if it's a nice normal 130 or out of control 240.

But I do tend to side with you. I think there is a lot more hypertension out there than initially believed. And I need to go to Pearl's cardiologist to get a simple BP taken. My local vets don't know how to do it.

Guest Greyhdnut

yes, I have been suspicious that the high altitude is a factor, although my vet doesn't think so. However, greys normally have more red blood cells and when one lives at high altitude your body makes more red blood cells to compensate for the lack of oxygen. Most vets remark that my dogs have thick blood, so I am wondering if they have a double increase of red blood cells. That said, none of the vets who have done blood work on my dogs seem to think it is a problem or are alarmed that they have thick blood. I am getting alarmed after 2 dogs in less then a year with strokes!

Ty MP for the informations as well. I am trying to prevent another stroke in my pups so I will try to find a blood pressure monitor somewhere.

Guest ss556

Alan had high blood pressure - 260+. Discovered after a mild focal seizure. He was on three meds: norvasc, benazepril and spironolactone, the latter at the suggestion of Dr. Couto. No elevation here, but HBP. Good luck.

If it is at all soothing, I did a very simple mathematic exercise when I lost my Morgaine to a status seizure and came out at roughly 5-6% of greys that were lost to stroke. This was by no means a massively scientific study, I just went by the approximate number of dogs adopted out by my group over a number of years, by how many had seizures. I did this because I knew I was going to get another grey as soon as possible but I needed something to hold on to that told me that I wasn't going to go through the same thing again with my next grey. Of course it isn't proof positive that it won't happen but the 94-95% odds against it did give me a measure of comfort.

My girl had only the one seizure that I was aware of. She was happy and running around and being silly when I left at 8:30 that morning. My walker found her at approximately 2:30 in full seizure. I lost her at 7:00 pm. Needless to say, I know more about how to handle a seizure now but that will only matter if I am there.

Based on the suggestion above, I am going to get BP monitor with an infant cuff.

Guest Energy11

My Curfew presented last Sept., with what was called "a stroke." He was out with the others, came running inside, and then, slumped against the wall, whining. His chest started quivering, with what looked like a Focal Seizure. Then, he want down, eyes dilated, pupils almost fixed, tongue lolled!

I drove faster than when I worked on the ambulance, to the nearest vet, 18 miles away, on windy country roads ... They had to CARRY him inside, and he was limp, breathing shallow, tongue lolled. They gave him a steriod and benedryl, in case it was an allergic reaction,(bloodwork normal) and kept him overnight. He did not stand again till the morning, and was extremely wobbly when I brought him home. After a few days, he was himself.

Recently, he has started barking inappropriately, acting confused, was found panting heavily and drooling. The vet here, thinks it is a brain tumor, but, I cannot afford the MRI to confirm. He is on Prednisone, high BP meds (got a very high reading at the vets), and Phenobarbitol. He seems to be doing well, wtih the exception of weight loss.

ME? I think maybe if it is a brain tumor, that is what triggered the "stroke." Hard to say without a complete neuro workup.

I, too, think the high elevation (yours) might be an issue. Good luck with this! I know how it is! D

Guest Greyhdnut

TY all for your input. I love greyhounds and really don't ever want another breed. My husband, however, is getting frustrated with all we have gone through in medical issues with them and I know I'll have a hard time convincing him when it comes time to adopt again.

I am sorry for your loss, carronstar :( and Energy11, I hope your boy continues to do well! My Bryn is slowly improving, despite the fact that she came close to dying and couldn't even stand for 2 days. She walks like a drunk still, but at least she is walking!

Energy11, I hadn't even thought of a brain tumor :( MRI's are $3,000 here, so at this time I cannot afford it, but I will keep that brain tumor worry in mind.

A wonderful vet who loves ER work said to me she's seen many greyhounds who come in with stroke and other vascular problems whereas other breed of dogs don't. I would guess it's a sighthound thing.

The inappropriate barking sounds like a brain tumor to me too. We had a greyhound do that. He was also strokey. (:

Marcia

GPA-Electric City

Anderson SC

Guest Energy11
A wonderful vet who loves ER work said to me she's seen many greyhounds who come in with stroke and other vascular problems whereas other breed of dogs don't. I would guess it's a sighthound thing.

The inappropriate barking sounds like a brain tumor to me too. We had a greyhound do that. He was also strokey. (:

Marcia

GPA-Electric City

Anderson SC

Yeah... pretty sure it IS a brain tumor. He has good and bad days! Only 7, too :-((