Help! Silas Split The Skin Between His Nail Pads!

Guest Althea

Guest ishapespace

Dax's bled a good bit at first (both times), but he did not bleed thru the gauze and vet wrap. I wrapped it pretty good though, but not too tight...

I hope Silas feels better soon...

So I don't know what you decided, but I can tell you that this happens in our house SO frequently, that we no longer even worry about a vet visit. Plus, our vet said that 90% of the time it's pointless to suture it because the skin is so thin it doesn't hold stitches well.

Here's how we handle it... clean it well with saline or bandaid wash, dry it, smear in some Neosporin, put a small no stick gauze pad between the back of the toes and the main pad, then wrap with rolled gauze, tape. Finally, slap a baby sock over the whole mess and leave it for a day-ish (cover it w/ a plastic bag when they go out). Every so often, unwrap, clean and re bandage. After a few days, we leave the bandage off, and just tape a baby sock over the foot to keep it clean. They seem to heal after about a week or so.

i use an old wool mitten with the thumb pushed in to cover the bandage. i then use some silver duct tape and wrap the mitten and put a stip of the tape just under the top of the mitten so it doesn't slip off. i leave the bootie on until the bandage needs changing since emily does her best to eat any sort of bandages. this is protective, sturdy and deters the eating habit. i do all of this with the dog standing so there will be enough room and no pressure on the paw, just a silver bootie that really works. nothing like duct tape! emily's therapa paw fits nice and sung so it can not go over bandages.